Transfer Box Oil Seal?

Hello

This is a pic of the transfer box / front prop from a 1990 90 with an lt77 box.

Is the arrow pointing to an oil seal?

The part is kinda hanging there, and will spin 360 degrees.

What the hell is it, and how do i fix it!

Mark

9090
Reply to
Mark Solesbury

its a metal shield which is a press fit on the drive flange but not in your case, purpose is to keep dirt away from the oil seal in the diff. remove prop then flange and you can throw away the offending bit, if flange appears ok then fit new oil seal in diff and reassemble, tho you may need a new/better drive flange. hope this is of use, cheers S

Reply to
steve

Hi Mark

Looking at the pic I would say it is a crud thrower and I think it should be pressed on to the output flange so it revolves with it and prevents muck getting in through the output seal. However I am not certain!

Icky

Reply to
icky

I like that Icky I had an uncle who did it for a living these days the job description is organic fertilizer spreader I agree tho' its a mud shield to keep the crud out of the way Derek

----------more manuals than Fawlty Towers------------------

Reply to
Derek