Ser1 replaciong transfer box oil seal?

Hi

I want to replace the oil seal on the rear output shaft of the transfer box on my 86" series 1. Looking at it there apperars to be a number of shims between the speedometer housing and the transfer box itself. The manual says for the end float on the shaft.

What I want to know is if I bugger about with this bit and take it off the transfer box to remove the old seal when I replace it will it leak oil through the shims. I can't see how five shims, no gasket and just tight bolts can make a good seal. Has anyone got any words of advice about this job, is there a way to ensure oil doesn't leak through the shims, call me cynical but I just know it will!

Cheers

Tony

Reply to
Tony Boyle

Well if it didn't leak before, leave the housing on, you don't have to remove it to get the seal out. If you haven't got a hook on a slide hammer then you can lever it out with a strong screwdriver if you are careful not to damage the edge where the seal goes back in. If you want to remove the housing to take out the odd shim to reduce the backlash in the bearings just make sure you wipe the shims and the case clean before you replace them, I've never known any to leak afterwards and I've done plenty. Use a piece of tube of a slightly smaller diameter than the new seal to press or knock it in so that it goes in squarely without damage.

HTH Martin

Reply to
Oily