Tricky Problem with Oil Seal Can Anyone advise

Hi All

I have a 96 4.0, and developed an oil leak from a seal that is located on the oil pump (front cover). My mechanic tells me it's a $2 part, but the dealer doesn't sell these seals separately, only with the oil pump (front Cover) for $1400 plus installation.

I would really hate to pay nearly $2000 for a $2 part. I understand that this seal can be swapped really easily without even removing the oil pump, however I need to find the part.

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thank You in advance

Alex Mak

Reply to
Alex Mak

Someone's pulling someone else's leg......

ERR6490 V8 Front Cover/2.5TD/200Tdi Timing Case Oil Seal

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Thank you richard, I called British Atlantic, unfortunately this is not the right part. This is a crank seal, the one I need is located on the right side of the cover, if you can visualize the cover installed on the engine. On my model, directly above the oil filter is an oil cooling line to the left and a freeze plug to the right. Directly aove the freezeplug is this oil seal, it is held in place by a circular pin. thats where I have the leak.

This seal doesn't show up on any schematic from the dealer, it supposedly comes as one piece fwith the cover. If I could find someone who rebuilds these covers they would have this part available, however I can't seem to find anyone who does this work.

Thank you again for your effort in responding to my post.

Alex Mak

Reply to
Alex Mak

Alex,

I had this leak too - and the guy that fixed it got *very* annoyed with the parts place, as they sent everyhting *but* the bit he needed. In the end he took it off and did a "let's see what we have that will fit instead" repair ;-) ISTR it is *only* an o-ring.

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Thanks Everyone who took the time to respond. My mechanic fixed it this morning. It was a relatively inexpensive part that he had to get from a salvage yard, and it stopped the leak. Cost me $150 USD with labor. I am very happy, it beats paying $2000 USD.

Alex Mak

Reply to
Alex Mak

Glad to see you found a proper traditional mechanic ( like my late father ) whereabouts in the US are you as a friend over there is having major problems with a numbnutz spannerman and could do with a recommendation. Derek ( still kicking tyres and looking at rusty motors)

Reply to
Derek