91 Camry LE: Struggling with an ongoing oil leak, need advice

I have a 91 Camry V6 with 180k miles on it. I know it has a boatfull of miles but it still runs great and I want to keep it for another bunch of years. I have done all of the work on it since I bought it and know it pretty well. Over the past few years, the car began to leak oil in several places. So, beginning last year I began to try to find each and every oil leak and repair it. During the last year, I have done the following: 1. Changed front oil seal. I also changed the timing belt and water pump while in this area. 2. Changed rear main seal and two trans axle shaft seals. This was done in one very laborious job. My former problem with a leaking transaxle was resolved with this job. 3. Changed valve cover gaskets and grommets for each of the attachment bolts. 4. Changed power steering seal. This was a very specific seal that was the cause of the leak I was experiencing. It was internat to the pump. Changing the seal stopped the leak. 5. Changed distributor shaft "o" ring. 6. Changed oil pan gasket. Despite all of these changes, I am still getting a leak in the area between the crankshaft pulley and the power steering pump. The highest point of leaking that I can spot is at just above the height of the ps pump. It is leaking onto the inner boot of my drive axle shaft. I would appreciate any ideas on where I should look. Thanks, Al Kondo

Reply to
Al Kondo

By front oil seal, do you mean front crankshaft oil seal? There is also an oil seal at the oil pump shaft, and I believe there is a convoluted "O" ring under the oil pump cover, plus the camshaft oil seal - could be one of these.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

The P/S high-pressure hose is leaking at it's lower crimp. They are available at any parts store for around $50+. If you don't have an impact wrench, a long extension and a 22mm swivel socket you won't likely be able to replace it on the car... You will need to remove the pump with the hose attached and seperate it on "the bench". BTW, this is the hose that attaches to the pump with a metal banjo fitting. It travels straight up to the right rear corner of the engine compartment and screws into a rigid pipe with a compression fitting. Its a common failure item, and they can really leak good when they get old!

Reply to
ComboverFish