Turbo hose - Discovery TD5

Hi, Having just returned from a holiday in Cornwall, I found the small hose connecting the turbo to the metal pipe into the inter-cooler had fractured (causing some loss of power, black smoke and noise). I enquired at my local LR dealer to be told that the small connecting hose can not be purchased separately and I needed to by the hose, metal pipe and connecting hose to the inter-cooler - a snip at £65+Vat!

Taken back by the cost I adapted a piece water hose top make the connection. Whilst the noise, and black smoke has gone, the turbo seems to behaving rather strangely under load and pulses power (a bit like being pulled by an elastic band!). I noticed the fractured hose was reinforced and wondered if the softer water hose I've used may have something to do with the changed performance. Anyone any ideas?

Ian

Reply to
ian

Nige

LR parts aren't cheap but =A365 for an inch or three of hose plus parts = that are not strictly required is daft.

It's ridiculous when you can't get simple parts. The fridge half of our =

dual compressor fridge/freezer has been playing up for a while. I was fairly sure it was a dodgey pot in the control panel, research of repairers showed that you can't get the pot as a spare only a whole new =

control board for =A3150+. Last night I removed the pot and hardwired a =

couple of resistors in it's place, fridge now behaves like a fridge not = a freezer. Any expensive preset pot is a =A31, cheap ones are 20p. Of cour= se this isn't a pot that you can buy from RS, Farnell etc but I've managed = to track the maker down and the UK distributer. Even if I have to pay a =A3=

10 for one it'll be cheaper than a whole new board and better for the enviroment.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

LR parts aren't cheap but £65 for an inch or three of hose plus parts that are not strictly required is daft.

It's ridiculous when you can't get simple parts. The fridge half of our dual compressor fridge/freezer has been playing up for a while. I was fairly sure it was a dodgey pot in the control panel, research of repairers showed that you can't get the pot as a spare only a whole new control board for £150+. Last night I removed the pot and hardwired a couple of resistors in it's place, fridge now behaves like a fridge not a freezer. Any expensive preset pot is a £1, cheap ones are 20p. Of course this isn't a pot that you can buy from RS, Farnell etc but I've managed to track the maker down and the UK distributer. Even if I have to pay a £10 for one it'll be cheaper than a whole new board and better for the enviroment.

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Which bit? The fridge control pot or the turbo hose? Both I guess but I bet getting blood froma stone would be easier than trying to get a part from an old fridge from the councils fridge mountain. esshh, can't let you do that sir, let all the nasty CFC's out won't it...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I don't think that your problem is due to the incorrect hose. The pipe from the turbo to the intercooler on my 300 TDi is made up of assorted hoses and steel pipes that I happened to have around. None of these are original Land Rover and none are reinforced. However, I don't get any of the pulsing that you have described.

John

Reply to
dumelow

Probably much cheaper to get in touch with Allisport (or one of the other performance upgrade crowd) and get one of the silicon replacement hoses. I payed about =A325 in total (at a show) for the hoses on either side of the metal pipe of my 300Tdi Defender.

Colin

Colin Reed

Reply to
Alex Threlfall