Twin Batteries

I'm going to install them and have already bought the split charge relay :-

1 Is it really necessary to buy a twin battery tray or can I simply use the existing fittings to hold the new batteries down

2 Do I really have to fork out for Optimas or similar when I do not want to run a winch and all I really want is to be able to use my Engel Fridge (or similar current consumption) on the deep cycle one

Reply to
Julian Pollard

put it whereever you like! juts make sure you clamp/fix it down. You can buy universal battery clamps for a couple of quid from any motor factor.

You should look at a leisure battery - make is up to you! There are loads of different makes. I'm after one too and the price of optimas has put me off - but plenty of people use the other cheaper makes with no problems!

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

I know that life suffers if a standard car battery is used but I get given batteries from scrap cars so that doesn't matter to me. My favourites are those exide ones from jap cars that have the green sg telltale built in.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

for the second battery use a leisure battery then, really deep cycle and last forever!

If it was for serious winching and stuff, then that would eb a different story!

My 101 has a large car battery on it, and the second battery is a leisure battery for running the lights, water heater, eberspacher, etc

-- To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Totally agree with above statement. I have an Engel fridge which we put in the Disco on camping trips. Maximum run I've ever got out of it was about 36 hours on a Willards (South African) deep cycle battery. Later batteries made locally here in Zim only lasted 9 months, so am now on a Deltec, which is not deep cycle. It defininitely does not have the lengh of runtime of the original deep cycle. It's a silver cadmium type, and it it doesn't seem to have got too upset with being run flat.

Cheers! Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe

Reply to
Graham Carter