AA : praise

After 6 months of using the carpc, my battery has taken a serious raping, to the point where the car wont start in the morning now, bear in mind the batteries cost 100 quid for the Audi.

I had a new battery fitted in june 2002 by the AA and paid the driver for it, all fine and worked well up till now, it just dies overnight, so I phoned the AA even though im no longer a member as my insurance at the time used AA I now use greenflag, after a convo with a women at breakdown she said " yes that battery has a 3 year warranty I will have an guy to you in an hour" and in 1 hour a guy came along with a brand new spanking 100amp battery, removed my old one, car starts on the button and everyones happy.

So even though i'm no longer a member they still warranty and fix on site all there faulty equipment, excellent service I must say.

Ron

PS if you use an invertor in your car make sure you buy a DEEP CYCLE battery, thats my next purchase

Reply to
Ronny

Remember me warning you to put in a switch, or a relay when you wired it, and you said it didn't matter because the battery was new :)

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

hehe m8, but its not cus i leave it on, its just the battery doesnt like invertors, infasct I have never left it on, maybe once for like 2 mins, it auto shuts off when the keycomes out the ignition

Reply to
Ronny

Buy a Leisure battery from

fit it in the boot and add a dual charging circuit. That's what they do in camper vans.

sPoNiX

Reply to
S P O N I X

Err, I sell decent deep cycle batteries! Lots of info there too.

Reply to
Burgerman

How did you set that up? Dose it just cut the power or will it shut down windows?

Reply to
Depresion

deep cycle battery with a split charger to run along side the engine battery, do not connect your engine up to the deep cycle battery. the benefit of deep cycle batteries is that you can drain them completely and then charge full, which you cannot do with a car battery, I dont see why you need this ron, you should buy a decent car unit and split charge it and then run the car pc completely off the second unit....

I can sort you out with a 4 yr warranty exide with a decent output for 50 ish quid all in.

Reply to
Theo

4 year warranty for deep cycle batteries? I use deep cycle Optimas, sonnechien, Oddysey etc and only ever get a year from a set in my powerchairs. You better send me some too!

If you discharge completely even GOOD deep cycle batteries (and that does not include "leisure" batteries!) you will bugger them super fast... . With the best deep cycle ones, you typically get 250 to 350 80 percent deep cycles. With 90 percent cycles you will get tens not hundreds. With shallow discharges you get thousands. Like a starter battery.

Since a true normal deep cycle battery has low cranking amps, they will not start a car well if at all. But rather than have 2 heavy batteries its better to fit something like a yellow top deep cycle optima, oddysey or other AGM battery alone. Because unlike conventional deep cycle batteries they will easily start any car engine too! It can serve both purposes...

I sell these, but cheap they are not!

|__ ( o )\_

Burgerman

You only need a deep cycle battery if you're going to run it flat - regardless of how you do it. And a flat battery of any type won't start a car. You need a secondary battery if you want to make sure the car starts with this sort of use.

However. what sort of PC are you using? A laptop should run all day on a car battery and still start it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

WOAH 319 quid, I was expecting around 150 lol, In states yellow ultima batteries I thought are 150 dollars does this sound right?

Ron,

Ps cheers Theo, but as mines under warranty they replaced it free of charge.

Reply to
Ron

Yep! Anyone can sell something cheap ;)

Same reason a corvette here is £44,000 and I can buy one for £17,700... Basically we are TAXED TO DEATH...

Reply to
Burgerman

Nah wont shut down windows, you have to do that manually, I have used a small circuit from the amp remote lead

Reply to
Ron

My setup consumes a little more power than your averege laptop :)

Think small family home hehe

Reply to
Ron

Not true. A Starter battery is only meant for 10 to fifteen percent discharge cycles for short periods. Cycle it any more than this and it will die a very early death.

A battery that is bigger is less likely to be flat though? Maybe a couple of

100 amp deep cycle AGM dual purpose ones...

You need a secondary battery if you want to make sure the car starts

Or something that disconnects your equipment at say 20 percent discharge on a starter battery, and 80 percent on a deep cycle based on voltage under a typical light load? So 12.45v starter and 12.05v deep cycle would be about right...

Reply to
Burgerman

I was quite pleased with Halfords - at the end of 2001 when I got my first Carlton I bought a brand new battery from Halfords to put in it. That battery then went to the CDX which I recently sold on ebay. In the last six months or so it was getting less and less use and it became increasingly difficult to start, often only just starting off a very lazy sounding starter motor. Tried taking it out and charging it up, but it made very little difference - having the stereo on only moderately loud would deaden the battery. Having got sick of pushing it halfway down the road to start it when I was using it for work after the Fiesta packed up I resorted to reversing it up onto ramps at night so it could roll down and start in the mornings! Anyway, in the end I decided to pop into Halfords and mention that it was buggered, but I'd lost the receipt, but that it was less than a year old (slight exaggeration) and bought from another Halfords (the truth, and there was no denying it was a Halfords battery). They replaced it no quibbles, but didn't give me a receipt as a guarantee as I didn't have the old one - anyway, made it a lot easier to sell - that it started!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

All decent inverters (as opposed to cheapshit) have a cutoff that disables the inverter if battery volts fall below 10.8V.

You did buy a decent inverter didn't you? Oh no, you didn't.

Reply to
Steve Firth

All decent inverters do have a power off function, and mine is powered off untill you start the appliance, then it whurrrrrrs into life, when the battery is low the unit just beeps like f*ck, apparently it is sposed to save your battery by shutting off, but IRL they dont do it, they just make tons of noise

lol

Ron

Reply to
Ron

I was going to say something like that as well.

Apparently >>

Reply to
antispam

Think Halford's batteries have had a minimum 3 year warranty for some time now - and IIRC they have a date code somewhere.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Your Alternator is the problem here, not your battery !

Assuming you aren't doing anything silly (like running the CarPC with the engine off, or using some titchy little battery) then it's effectively the alternator that supplies the power. Effectively, your battery will only discharge if total current draw is more than the alternator is supplying.

Fit a beefier alternator (from a higher-spec Audi), and you'll find that even a stock battery will work fine - after all, it only needs to start the car !

Reply to
Nom