Twisted Performance Intercooler Upgrades - Anyone got one?

Hi all,

Ive just spoken to the guy at Twisted Performance about his intercooler upgrades for a 200Tdi Defender.

Firstly, thy guy was very helpful and appeared very knowledgable.

He said 2 things that suprised me though: 1. They have found the more efficient direct replacement intercoolers (i.e. same size as standard units) to be of more use than the big "Alisport and others" options - Reason being the big intercoolers hold too much air and so the turbos need to be tweaked even more to drag the larger volume of air ?? 2. The existing rubber hoses connected to the turbo can almost double in size under hard acceleration (turbo active), thuis reducing pressure and hence available air to turbo. - Suggetsed replacing these with Silicone ones.

Point 1 above - Has anyone got any experience of comparing the two or thoughts?

Point 2 above - I can get my head around the fact that IF the pipes increase in size it will reduce the pressure inside them and thus less pressure / air to turbo. BUT do the pipes really swell this amount?

Also, does the flexible pipe between the air cleaner and the turbo reduce in cross sectional are under turbo use?

Andrew Graham at Allisport also puts a convincing argument accross for his "big" cooler.

Perhaps they are both as good as each other and it just comes down to location of fitting centre relative to my house??

Thanks for any thoughts.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

And here was silly me thinking the intercooler was AFTER the turbo..., and hence, the bigger the volume, the lesser the restriction, and therefor less pressure drop !

Peter R.

Reply to
Peter R.

Within limits you're right, but pressure drop is easy to compensate for, but the lag induced by a larger intercooler (more air to compress when coming on boost) is harder to fix. I'd tend to check the stated airflow & thermal dissipation rates for both types and make my decision based on that.

Reply to
EMB

Reply to
the ickys

On or around Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:37:27 GMT, Peter R. enlightened us thusly:

yep.

open the bonnet, fire 'er up, and apply welly by means of the lever on the pump, watching the turbo pipes as you do - when the boost starts to come in, you'll see them expand a bit. And that, unless you really rev it, is not full boost.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Plus they are a bit more expensive than Andy.

In case anyone is interested I do have a two stage intercooler (the one that goes in series with the stock positioned one) up for sale. Bought it so that I could install it in one of my ex CT Discos only to find out that the winch and skid plate are sitting where it should be located.

The unit was bought secondhand and comes complete with the hoses and metallic tubes. It is suitable for 300Tdi Discos and I would be happy to sell it for 150 pounds plus shipping to wherever you are by Greek post or courier ( it is your decision after I quote the cost)

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Forget it, thoursands of tuned and tweaked turbo-engines benefit from larger intercoolers. Every single of them. Proofen through tests on the rolling road. So forget all rubbish about beeing them not as good as a smaller unit. Cooler air means an enormous amount of more hp to get out of any engine, normally aspirated or turbo.

Raoul

Reply to
Raoul Donschachner

In message , Pantelis Giamarellos writes

Would it fit a 1995 (non a/c) 300tdi defender with front mounted hydraulic winch?

Reply to
Graham Jones

Graham Hi,

I am sorry but I can not give you a positive reply on that.

This second stage intercooler is made for a 300Tdi Discovery and it is to be positioned on the Disco bodyshell right above the front first crossmember but on the bodyshell.

To be frant with you I do not think that it would fit your Defender especially since it is already pretty crowded at the front with the hydraulic winch.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

I can only say that the full frontal larger intercooler fitted back in 1996 on my first 200Tdi Discovery give a far better "feel of pants" performance increase than a more freely flowing standard sized replacement intercooler mounted on another 200Tdi discovery of a friend of mine.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

In message , Pantelis Giamarellos writes

Thanks anyway Pantelis.

Reply to
Graham Jones

Cooler is in between turbo and engine. Turbo thus push air through. The funtion of the intercooler is to reduce the air temp. Larger cooler will have larger surface area and thus should cool better. Larger cooler should also have less restiction internally and thus reduce pressure gradient accross cooler. I am not calling him a liar but my experinece on the Td5 has gone againts his theory.

The effect of ballooning of the pipes is noticable under heavy boost, full thottle. Assuming the pipe is 2 inch dia, to double the effective volume of the pipe, requires the pipe to balloon to just under 2.75 inches. Must admit I have never measured it but cannot recall such a drastic increase in dia. That much would be obvious.

Reply to
Aubrey

On or around Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:59:23 +0200, "Aubrey" enlightened us thusly:

I could believe it - having noticed them swell slightly under part-boost off-load. Most vehicles don't give you the chance to see the pipes under full load at full revs.

Mind, I'm fairly convinced the thing about it affecting the pressure is bollocks. The only thing it can do is increase the turbo lag slightly, once the pipe has ballooned to X" diameter, it's then gonna stay the same; besides, it's the presence of pressure that makes it balloon, if it does, and therefore you must have the pressure there. The only thing that can affect the airflow into the engine is if the air is leaking out through the pipes.

Reply to
Austin Shackles