The one that got away...

Greed is a terrible thing but we all succumb to it at times and I went for it with all four barrels open today. By habit I picked up the Truck Trader today and saw an ad for a '65 21-window Bus for $1500. The one in the picture looked nice so with heart beating in my mouth I call the owner at 6:30 am and find out the Bus is for sale still. I immediately agree to the price and say I will be right over with a deposit of $500 which he agrees to. Problem is he will not be available until 11am. I arrrive on time and the old guy, the original owner, says the situation has changed because surprise surprise, his $1500 21-window has attracted a lot of phone calls including one where a guy has offered $2500 sight un-seen. I agree to match the amount even though the Bus is missign the rear bumper, has no interior, has spots of rust in the rockers and on some of the skylight windows and worse of all, the old guy had cut in a sunroof section above the cab which required amputating the fresh air inducter. He agrees, we shake hands and he begins to fill out a bill of sale after taking $1000 cash from me, when low and behold another dude shows up, the guy who offered $2500 "sight unseen" and get a little upset that the old guy didn't hold the Bus for him. I tell him "sorry too late" but then the swine offers the old dude $3000! I tell the guy, hey I gave him the down and he's filling out the bill of sale but the old guy chimes in, " I haven't finished it," and accepts the offer! I then tell the dude, "why don't I tell him what the Bus is really worth?" and proceed to tell the old guy that his $1500 Bus is really worth at least $4,000 if not $5,000. I got to tell you, I felt like taking a soul purging shower after this incident, to cleanse not only myself for my greed but the other two guys as well.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

On 22 May 2004 02:21:09 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnojunk (Braukuche) scribbled this interesting note:

Kinda' sucks when a simple sale turns into an auction!:~)

John Willis

Reminds me of when I was in college. There was a small store on the corner next to our college and next door to the store was a house where one of the nicest old ladies I've met in a long time (family members excluded) lived. She was pretty aged, a widow, and was starting to get in ill health.

She had a car in the garage that she hadn't driven in years and in preparation for the day when she could no longer take care of a house by herself, decided to sell the car. She always appreciated the store owner watching out for her, so she brought the ad over to have him help her write it correctly. She indicated that she wanted at least $500 for the car. This was around 1979 or so.

The store owner went over to the house after he closed for the day to check out the car so he could write a fairly accurate ad. Turns out she had a 1955 Chevy 4-door sedan, black, six cylinder with a 3-speed on the tree. Not a well optioned car for its time, but it was in really excellent shape. The store owner carefully got it running again (I helped with some of this), got some new tires put on it, we shined up the paint and gave it a good wax job, cleaned out the interior really well, went over the chrome, gave it the whole works.

He ran the ad asking people to make an offer. First guy came by and dropped about $8,000 on it and drove off a happy man. The old woman was elated. I can imagine if the old woman went ahead and ran the ad without any other advice. Would've made for one of those "old car in a barn with 23 miles" stories that everyone always takes with a grain of salt.

Reply to
Malcolm

Congrats to you and the store owner, that the 'lil ol lady was allowed to be the 'winner'!

Chris

74SB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Dan, if you had already handed the guy the deposit, I would have pitched a fit. That was wrong of both parties, the seller, and the sum-sucking waste of good breathing air that stymied your 21 window purchase by "bidding" more. If you guys had a deal, then you had a DEAL. Period. End of story.I saw something very close to that scenario played out at the Big 3 swap meet at the "Q" a few months ago. Fortunately, the seller of the item weas a man of integrity, and told the higher bidder "I already sold the part to this guy. If you want it that bad, you can deal with him; it's his now" Personally, I would have turned to the high bidder, and absolutely rubbed his face in it, and told him to "go forth and procreate"

Reply to
Kaferdave

Beleive me I did. But next to getting violent, there wasn't much I could do. I didn't have the bill of sale in hand, he was still filling it out, so my only recourse would have been a lawsuit which probably would have cost more than the car in the end.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

I would rather that neither of those guy's went forth and procreated. Gone are the days when a gentlemans word was as good as a contract, what a shame. Douglas

Reply to
Douglas

No, a gentleman's word is still as good as a contract. There merely are quite notably less gentlemen around these days.

Airhowlingly yours, Erik, who tries to be one

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

So legally looking the seller sold _your_ speedster to someone for 1500 = DM, sent you 200 DM for it and left laughing with 1300 DM in his back pocket. 1300 DM doesn't sound a reasonable sales commission to me. More like 200 DM for him and 1300 DM for you.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Yes. But what was I to do? I had no written proof, and my only witness was my best friend and the seller's son-in-law. So I just filed it under experience, especially as I'd already cooled on the car anyway, pocketed the 60 DM or so that I got reimbursed above actual expenses, and came out with a lesson learned.

No, I didn't blame my friend, even though he'd started the deal -- you don't pick your family, and he was way more miserable about the outcome than I was myself. I was furious, but I felt good about that. I even took delight in being furious much longer and louder than would have been necessary. ;-)

Looking back, I'd probably have been pretty frustrated with the car anyway, if I had actually got to own it.

Airhowlingly yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

I have over 30 years of sales and marketing of vehicles. Do not be discouraged by the ethics and actions of others. It is how you conduct yourself that matters at the end of the day.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik