3000GT VR-4 upgrades?

My friend picked up a 91 3000GT VR-4 with 100,000 miles on it 3 months ago. It's in awesome shape and runs strong. It was owned for most of its life by a gentleman in his mid 50's who didn't race it. He currently owns a 2000 Eclipse GT and last month picked up a BMW 381i Convertible. He is getting relocated to a new position and will be buying a second house so he decided to sell the 3000 GT to me. Just wondering what upgrades can be done to it.

My friend is a perfectionist so the car is cosmetically in mint condition. It's black with a custom tan/black leather seats. A few years back the car had a custom paint job put on it. It looks black but actually is a dark blue. He had any dings removed and new tires installed. From the first time I saw it and the condition it was in, I had to have it. I will get it for what he has into it.....just over 8 grand. From the condition that it's in I think it a pretty good deal.

Thanks for any input

Kyle

Reply to
Kyle Lindstrom

It is a very hard car to work on. A 1G or 2G Eclipse is easier to work on and can be made faster with a lot less money. However, if in good condition, it can be faster...to a point. Best info I can provide is to get rid of the exhaust system and BOV, add boost control, fuel control, and leave it alone. If you want to make it as fast as a DSM, plan on spending about 10K-20K more. Turbos alone will be in the 2-3K range and none are as good as a Green on a DSM. Just upgrading the piping will cost $1000. The fastest 3K is a 3K speed shop owner. He's no where near the fastest DSM.....www.3si.org has more.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Todd,

Thanks for the input. I probably will look into the exhaust system to upgrade. I'm a big fan of the Nissan 300ZX Turbo but after my friend picked the 3000 GT VR4 up I quickly became a fan of the 3K. Side by side I probably would take a 300ZX over a 3K because of the looks but this 3K is in immaculate shape. The 2 tone black/tan leather interior really sets it off. I also like the fact that it's a 2+2 style. Hopefully that will make the insurance a little cheaper.

Funny how a Ford guy now will get a Mitsubishi! We had a Ford dealership in the family for over 80 years and it came down to me the only son. I tried it for a few years and told my father to sell it in the late 80's. We were a small dealership in the Upper Peninsula and new guys closed it in the mid 90's. I make a lot more cash as a Project Engineer than my Dad ever did selling cars. Plus I have a lot less "headaches' than he did.

Kyle

Reply to
Kyle Lindstrom

No problem...On most cars I would say start with cat back. On this car, the cat back isn't that bad. It's the downpipe that really sucks the power. You can actually feel a huge difference between that and a good stillen. Once you have the exhaust upgraded, I would suggest you pull the O2 housings off. You will find a big surprise there. They have HUGE welded beads in there that really need some porting out. This is also true for the front manifold/header. The rear is OK.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know