urgent question disco mk1 brake caliper

decided to renew the swivel on my disco today, started of ok until i tried unbolting the calliper, the two bolts are not normal bolt heads, what type of socket fits them?

paul.

Reply to
Paul

so Paul was, like...

Did this recently on the P38, not sure if it's the same. The bolt has a kind of star-shaped head with (ISTR) 12 points. If you have a full set of normal hex sockets, one will fit it (and fit it well - it will need to, as they need a fair old wrestle to come off). Sorry I can't be more specific with sizes, but the job went easily with something out of a normal socket set.

HTH

Reply to
Richard Brookman

My only advice would be to make sure what ever you use is the correct item and don't chance it. Having had a normal calipar bolt (nothing fancey like torque bolts) sheer on me I then had no end of fun sorting the remaining stump.

Suffice to say I spent more on tools for that one task than on any other task on any car I've owned.... then gave up and limped to a engineers who JUST managed to save the day.

Not that I'm bitter you understand!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

)

Thanks for the help, it turned out to be 13mm. which was the one size i had lost in my socket set. it rolled off the top the engine and disappeared when i did the p gasket.any way went to halfords and carried on with job until!

the bottom bearing on the swivel is held on with star shaped countersunk bolts, you guessed it i have not got the right size! does any one know the correct size is? for when i cadge a lift to halfords tomorrow.

think i will tidy up and have a cold beer.

paul.

Reply to
Paul

On or around Sun, 4 Sep 2005 16:35:26 +0100, "Paul" enlightened us thusly:

I was about to say 13mm 12-point.

6-point ore 12-point? the former are torx... the 12-point kind I've only seen so far on citreugeot diesel cylinder head bolts.

that's a good plan. 'specially the latter part.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

When I did the Rangies I found this too... I seem to recall leaning on the assembly in dispare where upon the top of the assembley (swivel pin removed) swung outwards and the whole unit dropped gracefully onto my lap followed by half a bucket of ep90. I.e. if you swing the top out you should be able to clear the top of the swivel and the whole lot (lower bearings included should drop.

I also managed to "Refit is reverse on removal" only using one shot grease instead of EP90.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

pretty sure there 6 point,so i guess there torx. my major problem at the minute is the stub axle seal see the thread "disco mk1 stub axle problem". long story short i have damaged the seal inside the stub axle which you need various special tools to repair. well p****d off. off for another beer.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul