brake removal

Can anyone tell what the name for the sockets, that are used to remove the caliper securing bolts are called, The bolt heads are not normal six sided heads but like an external torx type if that makes sense?

Thanks

Tony

What, still with six points? They're normally twelve pointed and taken off with an old fashioned twelve point socket of 13mm, but the old 1/2" AF is a better fit usually. I've not seen any six point Torx types unless they are fitted to later types which I am not familiar with.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

As we have mentioned many times here in the past, make sure that your

12 point socket is a good tight, even hammer tight, fit. These bolts do corrode and the 'correct' size for a new bolt is rarely the correct size for an old one. Should you mess up the head of your bolt with an ill-fitting socket you will regret it!
Reply to
Dougal

If you mean the opposite of torx, ie you want a female torx socket, they are known as E-Torx.

The normal torx are referred to by size as T10, T12, T25 etc, the female ones are E14, E16, E18 etc

Alex

Reply to
Alex

The bolts are just standard bi-hex bolts. Any decent socket set will have them in, but make sure they are 1/2 in drive. The bolts, and their proper replacements, are pre-loaded with thread lock and will need a fair bit of effort to crack. Follow Dougals advice re: making sure your socket is a tight fit - new sockets are a hell of a lot easier/cheaper that dealing with a rounded head.

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds

I think i know what you mean - I think they are the same ones that hold the chrome swivel housing to the axle..

A normal Ring Spanner fits them - Im not sure what size it is though..

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

I'd managed to purge those memories... damn... snapped bolt in my case, lucky the bolt snapped such that the caliper could be removed but still an expensive period in my tool box development.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D