Urgent - Series 2A rear axle leaking -pressure?

Selling this tomorrow, so I need to get things done pretty quick!

1 rear brake was covered in oil last week, I thought it was the diff seal which had previously leaked, and had sprayed its oil all over the axle/brake back plate. Anyway, I changed the shoes and all is well, but then noticed more oil on the backplate again, so the axle end seal must be leaking. I go to get one today (£1.46 inc. axle gasket - bargain), and when undoing the axle nuts it was like letting a tyre down - there must have been a large build up of pressure inside the axle.

So, to save me the trouble of stripping it down further, do you think the oil leak was caused by the excess pressure in the axle? Or should I change the oil seal anyway? Ta Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I would think so. Sounds like the breather is blocked. The breather is the little "lump" on top of the axle halfway along. The standard thing is quite prone to blocking. Undo it and clean it out with an air line. I think they should rattle if they're "ok" as there's a ball bearing in them. No rattle would suggest "full of crud".

The only issue you might have now is that the seal is damaged and so it'll leak even without any pressure in the axle.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett