Registering a Land Rover in Britain for foreigners?

Hi,

me, as an Austrian fellow, is thinking about buying a Land Rover in Britain (a used and old one) so I wonder what one (from a EC country) needs to register a car in your country.

I just know, that it would be impossible for non-residents to register a car here in Austria. You have to have proof of a permanent address in Austria to register a car.

Is it the same in Britain or maybe better? ;)

Raoul

Reply to
Raoul Donschachner

You might find some useful stuff on

Speaking as someone who has always lived here, ive never needed proof of address to register anything, but you will need an address on the documents as you generally have to send them off and wait for new ones to come back to you.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Thanks a lot, looks as if it could be possible for me to register a vehicle in GB. What I need next, is an address on your glory island ;)

Raoul

Reply to
Raoul Donschachner

Why would you want to register a car here when you didnt live here?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Ever considered buying an Isle of Man registered Land Rover? I don't think they even MOT vehicles there but are aiming to introduce testing for vehicles over 10 years old by 2010!

It's loophole world on Fraggle Rock

Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Bayton

Not exactly, the problem is just during the process of the import of the car. The first registration, our eqivalent for your MoT-tests would be no problem.

Same here

Our road tax is even higher. It would be no problem to pay the british fees as I would save money ;-)

Do I have to have a MoT-test to be able to pay the taxes and fees?

Raoul

Reply to
Raoul Donschachner

On or around Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:49:05 +0200, das_liest snipped-for-privacy@don-moto.at (Raoul Donschachner) enlightened us thusly:

the trucking magazines have gone into this a few times, WRT registering trucks abroad (NL seems favourite) so as to avoid extortionate UK road taxes.

The gist for holland was that you needed a Dutch address - ISTR that a rented address would do provided it was a long-term let not just rented for a week.

If you came to Britain to live for 6 months, say, and wanted to buy and use a car, there has to be a system to do it. If you then travelled abroad with it, it should still be OK, provided you pay all the necessary dues. do you have road charging (tolls) in Austria?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The first tax is the one when a car hits the country, it is calculated on the fuel consumption. Then VAT

If you already own it, you have to pay the car tax which is dependent on the hp of the engine

Further you need to pay a toll if you intend to use the motorways.

And if you park it, you get a parking ticket. If you drive it, you gess it, a speeding ticket ;-)

Raoul

Reply to
Raoul Donschachner

Yes. In order to get the road tax you need a currently valid MOT, a certificate of insurance and the registration document for the car.

The address on the insurance certificate and the registration certificate must match, and the insurance certificate must specify the cars registration no, or specify that it is for any car.

Reply to
Tom Woods

I see, so the car has to be in Britain at least one time a year.

I already have an address from a friend who lives near London.

Raoul

Reply to
Raoul Donschachner

No current requirement to present the V5 if you have the renewal document, and given that "registered keeper" and "Owner" are two different things I don't see any requirement there to have the insurance matching the V5.

Just renewed the tax on my nameless Disco (suggestions anyone?) and I just handed over the renewal document, the insurance cert, the MOT and my cash card and they gave me a nice shiny new tax disc.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Owner and keeper would both be me, so this should not be a problem anyway.

Raoul

Reply to
Raoul Donschachner

good point! I always forget that since i keep sorning my cars and rotating the tax (to get different combinations on the road, and due to mechanical failures!)

The post office nearest me wont give you tax when they dont match!. I moved a year or so ago, and tried it. They let me do it, but only if i sent off the V5 at the same time to get it changed to the insurance address. Ive had to change a few cars over now for the same reason. Its annoying as i wanted to keep all the official documents going to my parents house rather than where i'm currently living (and not planning on staying permenantly)

Tis more satisfying when its free :)

Reply to
Tom Woods