A bit OT? help with query about driving without tax, etc for repair estimate

A car we have 'mothballed' (i.e. let tax, insurance & MoT expire) 'til son is old enough to drive in a few months time is parked on our drive. Was broken into last night and badly damaged. Need to get it to bodyshop for estimate/repair/etc. Am I right in thinking there is no exemption (like I think there is for driving without tax to a pre-booked MoT test garage) in a situation like this that would enable us to drive it to the garage? If so, I guess the only option is to summon a trailer.

Our concern is how, legally, to get it to a garage. Letting the insurance etc lapse was our choice to save money : ( Hindsight is a wonderful thing.....

Any help appreciated.

Reply to
Suzi Cardale

Hindsight

Did you send off the SORN form for the car? If not you'll have to pay back tax. Just thought I'd cheer you up ;).

Reply to
Doki

OK - thanks for the help guys. Suzanne

Reply to
Suzi Cardale

try asking the bodyshop if they would collect & re-deliver back to you using their trade plates ?

Reply to
Tony Morland

Hindsight

Are you in the RAC or suchlike? They might be able to take it to a garage for you. Failing that some garages might have a tow truck that would take it for you but they might charge for it (sorry read "might" as "will")

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Yup, this is the situation if you want to follow the rules.

We have a private car park outside our flats. We're quite close to the city centre. It is an ongoing problem that people use the car park to park untaxed, uninsured vehicles overnight, then use the cars as normal. As long as they don't park in a restricted parking zone, where traffic warden will check tax disks, and as long as they don't get stopped for speeding they can get away with driving like this for a considerable time.

In your situation if the garage is nearby, I'd just hop in and drive it round there. If you wanted to make the effort, tow it behind your other car.

Reply to
David

"David" mumbled:

Trolly jack and wheel 'em out onto the highway...then make a discreet call to the rozzers.

Reply to
Guy King
[snip]

Would that apply if you were never sent the SORN forms? I bought a bike and the tax ran out before I got the V5 back in my name, so there has been no reminder etc. However, I have not had it on the road for 9 months and do NOT want to pay tax back to January!

Regards to all.

Reply to
Kalico

Yes it does apply.

You can get a SORN form from the Post Office and the inserts with the V5 make this very clear.

Reply to
Alan