V8 Auto Gearbox Query

Picked up another Disco today, a '93 K 3.5 V8i Auto. Drove back from Notts to Yorks and it felt really good smooth changes, purring V8, one or two clunks when dropping from 4th to 3rd at around 50mph but I put it down to the fact that the car has been stood for 3 months. Then as I am 100 yds from home I slow from 40 to around 25 to take a left and a big clunk from the autobox as it changes down and it kills the engine! Re-started and it struggled a bit around the next two bends until I got home. Any ideas what it could be please? Seemed to run sweet as a nut until this.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Hi Andy,

have you checked all the obvious bits - fluids etc?

mine had a wibble at low speeds caused by the stepper motor not doing its job properly cos it was all caked up in soot

When you say struggled - engine struggling or gearbox?

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

Not checked a thing as it was dark and I don't know my way around the motor yet. Think the gearbox was struggling but the engine was nearly stalling so not sure if it was the chicken or the egg!

Reply to
Andy

Drop it round tomorrow night, we'll have a look if you want. 6pm would be good.

Reply to
Nige

Sounds a bit like transmission wind up to me. Jack up a wheel, let it down, then take for a drive again. See if the symptoms have gone. If they do then suspect the centre diff lock is engaged.

MW

Nige wrote:

Reply to
mike whiskey

I have a funny feeling that you could be right, the diff-lock light took a while to go out after I tested it, could have been a bit of wind-up there. I'll see if it does it again.

Reply to
Andy

On or around Tue, 14 Nov 2006 09:00:42 -0000, "Andy" enlightened us thusly:

sometimes you need to reverse it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I had to reverse a fair bit and turn it too, would have thought any wind-up would have gone after a 100 mile trip but there weren't many corners!!

Reply to
Andy

Once the diff is unlocked, that's all your wind-up gone, it winds up when the diff is locked. So unless your diff lock light went out but the diff remained locked then it shouldn't be wind-up.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

And regardless of corners it would have almost certainly have gone bang long before 100 miles - believe me I've been there.

The only thing affected by corners are the axle diffs.

Reply to
hugh

Not true as the rear axle travels a shorter distance that the front when going round a corner forwards.

Reply to
Nick

Ruled out a sticky centre diff, tested it on some gravel and the rear wheel drags when cornering with d/l in and runs fine with d/l out. Must have been a glitch as it hasn't happened since.

Reply to
Andy