V8 vs 2.5TD

Well, my 110 is off to have a replacement engine, and I've been lent a same year (1984) 90 2.5TD. I think the V8 should be more powerful (108bhp vs 85bhp or something similar?), so I must have had a very sick V8 since the TD pulls my 1500kg espresso trailer better than the V8 ever did. The 5 speed box in the 90 also helps with (non trailer) motorway cruising. It's a lively engine, with 50k on the clock. Maybe I should have explored a diesel conversion for mine rather than another V8.

By the way, the replacement engine for mine is older than the current one! A 1975 RR 3.5 with the same 4 speed box, but with handbrake and diff selector in a different place. Also no power steering, so my mechanic has to move mine over. The previous owner of the RR poodled to the shops and back for 20 years, totalling 34k miles - Does this mean anything bad for the engine when I have it in my 110? I assume some redex to un-coke it, or a few blasts up the motorway might help? Is there anything intrinsically wrong with "upgrading" to such an older engine?

Reply to
danny