2.25 in a 110 station wagon

2.25 petrol engine (more BHP than a 2.5 diesel) in a 110 station wagon. does this mean it'll feel more powerful than a 2.5 diesel (which I've driven loads of before) or am I missing something, such as the need to rev it to within an inch of it's life to get it to pull like a 2.5D? If I get a 2.25 petrol can I fiddle with the cams and such to get some more poke from it?

(yes, OK, I've been on autotrader.co.uk again....)

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

I have this engine in my S3 at present (until I get a Round Tuit and put the 3.5 V8 in), and yes, there's lots you can do to make it more pokey. IMO this is a little like wrapping a ribbon around a turd, but each to their own. What didn't you like about the Stage 1?

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Twas Wed, 07 Jan 2004 15:23:44 +0000 when Mother put finger to keyboard producing:

Can't find any at the moment. I've seen a nice 2.25 in aylesbury on autotrader...

"Land Rover 110 County Station Wagon 83/Y cream over russet brown, very original 12-seater sliding window model with 2.25 petrol engine, superb condition throughout, with 95,000 miles and a new MOT £1995. PADDOCK 4X4. "

the promising condition cought my eye.. and low miles too.

I have never met a stage 1, but I've driven many series 3's and early

110's up to F reg (I used to own a 1984 110) and found them much more to my taste than the S3's. I like the permenant 4wd, the simpler control layout, the coil springs and the look of them.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

Twas Wed, 07 Jan 2004 15:23:44 +0000 when Mother put finger to keyboard producing:

PS, what do you need to change in a 2.25 110 to put a V8 in from, say a range rover? engine, gearbox... transfer? drive shafts? axles?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

You can use the existing gearbox, someone makes an adapter plate to mate them. Although it's possible to keep the front the same (I'm talking about a S3 here so this will not apply to a 110) it's usually easier to make the front more like a 90/110 - i.e., in line with the wings. I like the look of the S3 so will probably try to keep it as is. Other options are to put a S2 gearbox in (these are much more heavy duty), or simply replace the lot and have a hybrid :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Twas Wed, 07 Jan 2004 15:43:20 +0000 when Mother put finger to keyboard producing:

The rest can take the increased power? I love Land Rovers :o)

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

Fuel consumption, and the carburretor can be very variable, but you can fit a Weber. The oil-bath air filter is pretty good for airflow. Main problem in this modern age is that the valve seats aren't suitable for unleaded fuel. You'll be OK with using additive.

Power and the torque curve can be improved by head work to improve gas flow, and the valve seats can have hardened inserts fitted while that's being done. Note that this may affect insurance, though I'm not sure why. I gather that sorting out the joints between head and manifolds is part of the basic work, and makes a big difference

Of course, if you drive to use the extra power, you will burn more fuel.

Reply to
David G. Bell

On or around Wed, 07 Jan 2004 15:12:53 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

yes it's more powerful, no you don;t have to rev the nuts off it, but you'll find it revs more freely than a diesel, and yes you can do all sorts to it, up to and including a 2.8l 4-cyl engine, which is a serious rebuild and big money.

however, a stage 2 head and uprated cam isn't ridiculous money, and gains a fair few ponies.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 07 Jan 2004 15:33:05 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

not a lot. you might want to get the RR gearbox as well, for easy of fitment. You may need to move the engine mounts on the chassis, I did. not difficult if you can weld, if not get someone else who can to do it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

(snip)

(snip) Engine, gearbox, transfer case. I think the drive shafts are the same, and I know the axles are, and pretty certain the diff ratio is the same. There will be minor wiring differences. The V8 is about the same weight as the four, so there are no suspension implications. JD

Reply to
JD

The V8 is about the same weight as the

I was under the impression that the V8 was considerably lighter than the

2.25 petrol, I've lifted one into the back of an escort van alone before now without any trouble (minus flywheel and front cover). The engine is after all aluminium.

I fitted a Range Rover 3.5 V8 in my DAX Rush kit car and had an adapter kit made up so that it would mate to the Borg Warner T5 gearbox as used in the Sierra Cosworth 2WD (half the weight of an R380 or LT77 and a far more sporty shif) The complete car will all it's leather trim, highback seats and a full tank of fuel weighed in at under 640KGs when put on the scales at the SVA test centre, so the power to weight ratio is pretty good. It will be even better when I fit the new 300+BHP race tuned Rover V8 I have just ordered.

I have a Range Rover manual flywheel surplus if anyone needs one as I fitted a lightened and balanced SD1 unit, if interested make me an offer.

Fergus

Reply to
Fergus Kendall

Bunging a V8 in the SIII eh...well...far be it from me to plant a seed ...but a 4.6 and 101 Gearbox would work a treat..give you constant 4x4 .then also leaving a space in a 101 to be filled with er...5.2 and an Auto ????? Nah...it wouldn't fit ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

But I don't have a spare 4.6 - I will shortly have a couple of spare

3.5s tho'... :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

My impression is lighter, but not considerably lighter - although that depends on how you define "considerably" I suppose. JD

Reply to
JD

Now stop it, or you will have an irate redhead on your doorstep... I'm very unimpressed with diesel Land Rovers and Mandy wants to know why there are 4 V8's on her ebay watch list.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Mother at "@ {mother} @"@101fc.net wrote on 8/1/04 9:47 AM:

We would be interested in one. Can you send me some details? Thanks

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Surveying the market, to see what people are paying. You should always do this for common goods, before you bid for anything, so that you have an idea of what competition there is, and how the market is acting.

If that doesn't work, post a photo of Mandy...

Reply to
David G. Bell

Did this on my 110 many years ago as the 2.25 needed revving hard to do anything. Replaced transfer box with 1.44:1 (std was 1.66:1), fitted long-stick rangerover 5-speed box, V8 engine and welded the V8 mounts onto the chassis after removing the 2.25 engine mounts. Leave the gearbox mounts as they are, propshafts are then ok, axles are same ratio as well, even the radiator is ok (early 4-cyl and v8 used the same rad) unless you are putting in a tuned

3.9+ engine. Just use the v8 rad hoses and header tank, fit v8 downpipes, y piece and connect to your std exhaust system. Easy. Badger.
Reply to
Badger

Ah, sorry - didn't mean to give the impression they were for sale. 1 is probably going in Ziggy, the other will be a spare.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

With a 'Buy It Now' or just a low reserve?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs