Wandering steering

1990 110 2.5TD

I swapped my steering box a few weeks ago.

I replaced all the parts related to it and ensured that everything was done up as tight as required.

I had commented that the steering was feeling light and the car had an increased tendency to wander, but I was told that wasn't unusual.

I have now had fitted two new tyres on the front "Security 7.50x16" and it has got worse.

So, is the steering getting worse, is there a problem and is it being exacerbated by the tyres?

In particular, where should I look?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Hi Peter, are the tyres radial or crossply? What pressure do you have in them?

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Steering box free play, track rod end wear, swivel preload, tyre pressure, tracking, ride height, worn bushes... the list is somewhat long.

Are the tyres you have fitted radials? And are the rear tyres of the same construction?

Reply to
EMB

Richard,

They are radials at the recommended pressure (which means that I can't remember the value and can't be bothered to look it up!)

Anyway, problem solved. I finally got around to replacing the rubber boot on the ball joint to the drop arm and whilst it was loose I thought I would check the parts for play. The steering arms and joints were fine, however there was a small amount of movement in the drop arm. Initially I couldn't determine if it was due to the box or the arm, with close inspection, it became obvious it was the drop arm moving on the shaft.

Now I know that I torqued that up to the requisite amount and there was the tab washer, so whether there was a bit of grit stopping it moving fully up the taper?

Anyway, it is tight now and it wanders no more.

If I couldn't find anything today I was going to whack it into my local man ASAP for him to have a look.

I'll be after a rear crossmember (with extensions) for a 1990 110 TD Defender next month. Plus any other parts you reckon I might need.

Cheers

Peter

beamendsltd wrote:

Reply to
puffernutter

I don't recall a taper on that particular bit, in fact the lack of same seems to directly limit being able to tighten the drop arm sufficiently. Am I talking from the wrong end, confused, out to lunch, all of the above?

Reply to
GbH

All of the above, but not meant nastily!

The spline is tapered.

Also try viewing this string from recent history:

Dougal

Silly questions but;

Have you had the tracking / wheel alignment set recently? Are the tyre pressures ok? Are any brakes binding? Any play in balljoints / bushes?

Reply to
Pete M