Power Steering Box Seal

Has anyone any experience of changing the seal on the column input of the PAS box on a Disco? Mine is leaking and I have ordered a seal kit from Beam-ends but no idea what sort of job it will be to fit.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Heavy!! You might find there's a groove worn in the shaft too.

Reply to
Nige

I concur. On my 1990 110 CSW I had a leak on the output shaft and was advised it was false economy to just change the seal as invariably the shaft has a groove in it, so it will still leak. I assume the input shaft will have the same issues.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

No idea if these would suit the application, but we have used them in the past to extend the life of worn shafts.

David

Reply to
rads

Fascinating. Stored in my "Favourites". Thanks for that. I'm sure that I will find a use for them one day!

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

So best to replace the whole box then??

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Aye, about a ton, weight as well as money!!

Reply to
Nige

I had a leak on the output shaft of my Disco steering box, I changed the seal and its been leak free for three years now

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Standard practice (if it's possible) in these cases is to fit the new seal in its housing slightly more or less deep so the lip sits on a new bit of shaft. Sometimes a thicker gasket between the seal housing does the trick. (I couldn't talk specifics regarding LR steering boxes though)

Reply to
Julian

Not for the input shaft - that's more of often that not just the seal suffering from old age - it's the output (sector) shaft the gets scored and knackers the job up. Certainly worth trying to fix the input seal.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I stand corrected. Thanks for that. Another useful titbit to stash away for the future!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter