Water pump / alternator bearing failures

Hi All

I seem to be having problems with bearing collapses on my TDI 300

In the last 18 months I've had the bearings on the alternator fail twice and the water pump fail three times

I also replaced the Automatic tensioner arm about 12 months ago because of a noise bearing

Any ideas please

As Always

Many Thanks in advance pump bearing

Reply to
DieSea

Dont fit cheap britpart stuff, then it should be ok.

Reply to
Nige

Thanks Nige !!

The last pump was fitted by a garage in Twynholm about 18 months ago

The pump and labour was over £150.00 , if it was Britpart shouldn't have cost that much

If I remember the pump was about £50.00 The Anti Freeze about £15.00 then labour one or two other sundries & then VAT

Now Buckley Bros in Darwen do the TDI 300 water pump at £20.00 inc Vat , now that is Britpart

IS there a problem with the auto tensioner and is there a way that the tension can be reduced

Back home now so time to sort it out tomorrow

-- DieSea

Reply to
DieSea

Always change the tensioner anyway, it's not mega money, something is putting too much tension on things, or yer unlucky.

Reply to
Nige

Might be worth looking at the power steering pump pulley. The shaft is known to occasionally run out and feckup the rest of the pulleys/bearings 'cos it strains the belt/system.

I know when my alternator bearings went, I also renewed the w/pump and tensioner .. in my case ps was OK, but I think when the alternator went, the resulting vibrations set the others off too.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

As an aside to this I was on my way up to help out at the Forrest Stages Rally

Stopped off at the Todhills Travelodge and had an ealy start

Chosen breakfast place in Dumfries had altered its opening hours from 7 AM to

8 AM so missed that

Then found out that Water Pump was ^>ed

Called the recovery company to wait for 20 mins for them to answer the call( high Call Volumes so they said )

No one at the local recovery company had the hours ( so they said ) for the recovery

Three hours later a flat bed turned up and took me back to their depot in the opposite direction and then home

Got home in the afternoon and was telling my mate who was helping at the rally of my tale of woe

He said what do you expect all the mechanics would have been out playing at the rally this weekend

The only thing that p155e5 me 0ff I missed a good rally so they say

Ta All

Reply to
DieSea

I concur. I just had to do an swap on a 300Tdi which had a new Britpart alternator fitted 2 weeks ago. The regulator failed, burned the field winding out, cooked the casing and caused the rear bearing to overheat and split the casing.

Incidentally, the Bitpart 75A alternator is listed as fitting both 200 and 300 engines, as it comes without a pulley fitted. It's actually a

200 unit as one mounting hole is threaded to accept the clamp bolt for the belt adjuster. It is also a cheap pattern copy of a Lucas ACR, but there is not a single mark on the casting identifying the make.

Alex

Reply to
Alex