Disco Water Pump

Hi All

I have a 95 Disco tdi. The water pump is getting noisy. Is this an easy repair and how much should I be looking at for a new one.

Advice appreciated

Paul

Reply to
Paul Tasker

Hi paul

Are you sure it is the pump, normally just the belt making a noise, even though it sounds just like a bearing. spray some WD40 on the grooves of the belt with the engine running. If the noise dissappears then it is the belt.

If it is the water pump they are very easy to replace and also very cheap.

Hope this helps.

-- Marc

FOR SALE : DISCOVERY II (02) SERENGETTI 7SEAT 39,000 MILES FSH DISCOVERY II (51) GS7, ACE, SLS, CLIMATE,67,000 MILES B.F.G AT'S DISCOVERY TDI R REG EPSOM GREEN, 7SEATS, AC, AW. DISCOVERY TDI M REG VAN 100,000 MILES.

Reply to
Marc Draper

On or around Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:55:58 -0000, "Marc Draper" enlightened us thusly:

the pump failed on ours (300 TDi) - easy way to check, detension the belt (15mm socket and a long handle) unhook it and see if there's play or noise or roughness in the pump. The bearings failed in ours eventually and caused it to throw the belt, which loses you your alternator and PAS as well.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

cheap................

******and very nasty.. There has been a batch of very dodgy water pumps - I got through a total of 4 in less than a year but the last one fitted seems OK and has been on for a year now. Good luck TonyB
Reply to
TonyB

On or around Thu, 24 Feb 2005 21:13:33 +0000 (UTC), "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

fitted a cheapo from Paddock. digits suitably crucified.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

]

It is generally my policy to fit Genuine parts throughout, unless the customer says other wise.

-- Marc

FOR SALE : DISCOVERY II (02) SERENGETTI 7SEAT 39,000 MILES FSH DISCOVERY II (51) GS7, ACE, SLS, CLIMATE,67,000 MILES B.F.G AT'S DISCOVERY TDI R REG EPSOM GREEN, 7SEATS, AC, AW. DISCOVERY TDI M REG VAN 100,000 MILES.

Reply to
Marc Draper

On or around Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:23:20 -0000, "Marc Draper" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, but then again, the vacuum pump, for example, on the 300 TDi is an identical unit whether sourced from Paddock or from LR.

not sure about water pumps, but it's pretty unlikely that LR make their own, and quite possible that they all come from the same factory.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Definately not in the case of water pumps, and really quite rare overall - but now Unipart are back in the game, things may change........

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Why worrappened to Unipart? all I know is the name has been on Partco vans for a while.

Reply to
George Spigot

I'm told (reliably) that Unipart have taken over, or rather got back, the parts distribution for earlier Land Rovers (the "classic vehicles scheme" thing for RRC and 200 Discovery). It seems to me that Unipart have a rather larger supplier base than the current LR parts set-up, and they are also active in the after-market area.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

just remembered Express Factors might be time to go shopping there again.

Reply to
George Spigot