TD5 head replacement

Hi everyone

I'm about to replace the cylinder head on my 2004 TD5 Defender because I've been reliably informed that the diesel appearing in my sump is coming from a cracked cylinder head - and apparently it's quite common !!

Does anyone have any tips or warnings before I begin my adventure this weekend ?

Any advice/encouragement greatly appreciated :-)

Dave

Reply to
bromide

Cracked head - not really as common as you might think. Leaking injectors - very common. Replace injector o-rings and copper seals first before going to the expense of doing a head. The o-rings leak and fills the sump with diesel.

CB Qld, Oz.

Reply to
CraigB

That brings back 'orrible memories of the Leyland 680 commercial engine in the 70s that had the injector leak off pipes inside the rocker covers. Every now and then, you'd have a gallon too much oil strongly smelling of diesel in the sump.

Said pipes were, of course, made of the most brittle copper and brass you've ever seen....

Reply to
John Williamson

Ooooops....seems I've possibly jumped the gun and bought my replacement head already. Oh well, I'll convince myself it was a necassary spend :-/

Thanks for the >> Hi everyone

Reply to
bromide

Interesting.

A friend here has a D3 with the same problem (dilute engine oil) that's on it's second engine, then another head, then the injectors were "tested" and found to be OK. All seals been replaced etc. Now they are going to change all the injectors!.

It's been in a workshop more than on (or off) road in the few months he's had it.

Pitty, nice car, full leather and all the toys etc, but he says it's pot luck if it'll decide to start, or if it does, run without problems.

The only good part about it all, is that it's all under LR's warranty, at the moment. Thogh the thread of the injector costs is still there.

I just can't believe (well, maybe I can) that a full spec dealer and LR's backup can't fix that.

Cheers.

Dave B.

(Thanfully, with a 200TDi!)

Reply to