Water seperator.

Ok....

Here I sit with a shopping list growing by the minute thanks to the recent Rangie collision.

I now need a fuel line (owing to torching it!) A water seperator (owning to the fuel lins being stuck to it) A pair of rear shocks (Owing to the water seperator bolts needing cutting off and the shocks needing cutting off to remove same.)

Does it really need a water seperator? I'm sure it's desireable but given I've never been able to drain it since the tap snapped off then I'm questioning what use they are anyway. What would be the outcome of running it without?

Besides they cost a small fortune to replace... just checing incase I'm paying extortionate prices for a redundant item.

Oh the joy of it all!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Twas Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:50:15 GMT when "Lee_D" put finger to keyboard producing:

The fuel filter mounted on the bulkhead in the engine bay of my 110 catches water in the bottom of it, there is aparently an option for an additional water seperator but I understand that was fitted for vehicles going to countries where the quality of diesel is very poor and is somehow has alot of water in it.

short answer, if your fuel filter housing has a drain screw in the bottom then you probably don't need a seperate water seperator. probably.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Indeed the Rangie Filter has the facility to drain off water.

I went on my parts mission shortly after making the post. I got a seperator which is non geniune (from potteries diesel). It's not all Ally but has a clear plastic bowl which initially I thought would be a bonus only when I came to refit it I was uncomfortable with it hovering above the exhaust. Anyway I relocated it to the engine bay beside the fuel filter.

I also accidentally tipped up the old seperator...YUK! what a mess off gloope and water. Apart from the expense I'm glad I changed it now.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

What do you rate as extortionate?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

£54 quoted by Landranger services.....

Didn't pay that much for the Jag engine, autobox, radiator oil cooler power steering pump (yet to be fitted) and alternator in Percy, but then I am a little on the tight side ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

41 inc VAT here ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Typical init, I got one from Potteries diesel, it's got a clear basin and as a precaution has been relocated along side the diesel filter in the engine bay.Didn't fancy it's chances above the exhaust but would probably have been fine. Whilst it may not be as efficient as one fitted lower down in the system it is present , and more likely to get serviced in it's current location, gives a visible indication as to it's content and less likely to corrode up like the old one did due to it's loacton. Being an ally item strapped to a steel chassis under a Rangie aint really condusuive to a long corrosion free life.

Cost £37 so alls not lost. (Equivalent to an engine and box in real terms ;-) )

Lee D.

Reply to
Lee_D