What happens if I disconnect my Airflow Meter?

My 3.9 discovery seems to run better when I've disconnected the airflow meter. Any ideas whether this is bad for it? What does it do?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Felton

On or around Mon, 2 Feb 2004 08:16:39 +0800, "Peter Felton" enlightened us thusly:

measures the incoming air, in order to allow it to supply the right amount of fuel. If it's running better without it then it's broken, you need to get it sorted. It might not be the AFM that's broken, of course, but something is out of kilter.

I'm assuming that it's a standard EFi.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You'll need to find someone with a workshop manual that cover the Hot Wire fuel injection system, this will be able to give you various checks that can be carried out with a multi meter to find out whats wrong.

I've got the older flapper type which I#m afraid is completely different.

Alan Mudd

Reply to
Alan Mudd

On or around Mon, 2 Feb 2004 09:14:35 +0000 (UTC), "Alan Mudd" enlightened us thusly:

are all 3.9s hotwire?

hmmm.

might have the info on the RAVE thing I have here...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I think some of the early ones were flapper type, but I'd hazard a guess that the majority were hotwire..

Alan Mudd

Reply to
Alan Mudd

In message , Austin Shackles writes

I believe so, and the later 3.5's also.

Reply to
hugh

What do you mean by 'runs better' do you mean start / accelerate, cruise?

I don't mean to be rude but, which bit are you disconnecting?

Brief theory on the Airflow meter: It measures the amount (note mass not volume) of air being sucked in the engine, so the ECU knows how much fuel to inject. It works on the principle of drawing air over two wires: - a Sensing Wire and a Compensating Wire. The Sensing Wire is heated and the Compensating Wire isn't. The sensing wire will cool down dependant on volume of air flowing over it, humidity, temperature and pressure, and allows the ECU to calculate mass of air sucked in. The compensating wire corrects this calculation for ambient temperature for example: imagine idling in winter, with a temperature of -5 deg, and idling in summer with a temp of +25 deg, assuming the same humidity and pressure, then the volume sucked in by the engine will be the same, however the cooling effect on the sensing wire isn't (resulting in an erroneous mass calculation) the compensating wire will compensate for this.

let us know how you get on.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

On or around Mon, 2 Feb 2004 22:15:01 -0000, "Tom" enlightened us thusly:

so *that's* why it's called hotwire.

Reply to
Austin Shackles