What Have I Got on My Drive?

UK-based enquiry for advice.

The V5 / Registration Certificate Says: Date of First Registration: June 1972 VIN: 90102***A Engine Number: 714J00***C Cylinder Capacity: 2500cc Type of Fuel: Heavy Oil

CalVIN says the chassis number should be a SeriesIII Petrol 88.

What I Have: Model: Series III Hard Top with split rear door. VIN: No proper plate in sight. A home made number rivetted to the body work matches that on the V5 Engine Number: None to be found where everyone says it should be. Nearby is the code RM024***A Engine Type: Well I'm putting unleaded in though it's not running great

Has a previous owner done some kind of fudge to secure Historic Vehicle Status? Does the paperwork need unpicking or can it be left as it is? What sort of engine is it?

Many thanks for any advice / guidance.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Have you had a really good look for this? Depending on the market and time of manufacture it can be located in several different places. Thinking of the various Series vehicles I work on regularly the location could be: inside the firewall in front of the gear lever, either end of the seat box, engine side of firewall or on the top of the breakfast.

If you're really keen (and the vehicle is basically unmolested) it should also be stamped in the chassis - google back through this group for possible locations.

Reply to
EMB

Having noted the above I'd say it'll be either EP90 or 15w40

;-)

If it aint broke don't fix it.

My guess is that at some point it's being declared as having a 2.5 litre diesel but for some reason now has a petrol lump. Not all that strange as Landrover owners tend to swap every which way.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Chassis number is correct for type and could well be 1972 and was originally 2.25 petrol. Sounds like it has had a couple of engine changes but the engine no on the V5 is wrong unless the 7 is a mistake in which case it may have had a sherpa version of the 2.5 diesel fitted (14J prefix)

Probably had another petrol fitted later, the number could be from whoever may have reconditioned it.

Should really inform DVLA of fuel and engine change. Vehicles of this age didn't have tamper proof plates like today, just a simple one rivetted to bulkhead. chassis no is also stamped above one of the front dumb irons if you can find under the rust and crap!

Sean

73FL74 101GS 2000 110 CSW Medway Military Vehicle Group
sean101ryan

Does the V5 say it's a historic vehicle?.

Have you looked for the chassis number stamped on the outside of the front right spring hanger, i.e just behind the bumper. I had to scrape off a layer of waxoil and other crud to check mine.

The engine details are obviously wrong on the V5 and should really be corrected, I must get around to doing that with mine 8-).

Greg

Reply to
Greg