MOT legal enquiry

Does anyone know what is the legal situation if my MOT were to run out while I were in hospital or otherwise unable to drive as the result of an operation. Tax would still be valid as this is not concurrent with my MOT, but this situation might occur in August.

Reply to
Larry

It doesn't matter I don't think there is problem. As long as you don't want to drive it on the road the only thing you need to inform them of is if the tax tuns out, and even then you can put it on a SORN. You could always just get it MOT'ed early?

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

The legal situation is basically that once the MOT runs out you shouldnt drive it on the road as I dont think that the insurance will be valid and I dont think it impresses the authorities either.

when you dont have an MOT, you are allowed to drive it to a pre booked MOT test and i believe to a garage to have necessary work done.

Reply to
Tom Woods

You can't park it on the road either.

Reply to
Dougal

Will be ok providing it is not kept on the roadside, and as previous poster has said, you are legally allowed to drive it to an MOT test station when you can - providing you have made an appointment with them.

You do realise that you can get an MOT up to a month before the existing one runs out and have it post dated to the last certificate. At least you could - I assume it is the same under the new MOT scheme as I haven't heard to the contrary. There is, of course, nothing stopping you having it MOT'd right now to give you a new cert for 12 months.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

|| On Sun, 14 May 2006 21:19:17 +0100, "Larry" || wrote: || ||| Does anyone know what is the legal situation if my MOT were to run ||| out while I were in hospital or otherwise unable to drive as the ||| result of an operation. Tax would still be valid as this is not ||| concurrent with my MOT, but this situation might occur in August. || || The legal situation is basically that once the MOT runs out you || shouldnt drive it on the road as I dont think that the insurance will || be valid and I dont think it impresses the authorities either. || || when you dont have an MOT, you are allowed to drive it to a pre || booked MOT test and i believe to a garage to have necessary work || done.

Definitely don't drive it , and to be safe park it off the road. No need for an MoT then.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Keeping it on the road would most likely be the problem then as that is unavoidable, because if I kept it on the grass the Council would object.

If the MOT does run out before I can drive again the first place I will drive it will be to get it sorted.

Reply to
Larry

In message , Tom Woods writes

I believe you are correct, the "pre-booked" bit being very important

Reply to
hugh

Larry uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Larry,

Leave it a month or so then MOT it early. That way next year at least you're more likely to have good weather if it does need work. So you lose a few months MOT, hey ho... no stress though.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I thought you only needed road tax to park it on the road?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Icky

Reply to