Noisy P38 engine

Hi, I own a 1996 P38 and the engine has started to sound a bit noisy it's like a squeaking sound almost like a dry bearing or one that's about to give up. I can't seem to locate the cause of this noise can anybody tell me if there is any common items that could cause this noise. I suspect it may be the water pump or a belt tensioner but I am not totally convinced.

Cheers for any help and advice you may have

Martin

Reply to
Martin

What engine?

Can you run it with the belt off?

Head gaskets sometimes "squeak" when they go too.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Hi, Sorry i should have said it's diesel (BMW)

Reply to
Martin

My V8 P38 was squeaking recently and I just couldn't decide where it was coming from. Sounded like a dry bearing. Eventualy found it was the serpentine drive belt itself. Hope yours is something nice and simple (cheap) too.

Gaz

Reply to
Gary Stevens