110 Rear Wheel bearing

O/S/R wheel bearing is rumbling, jacked it up and there is a fair bit of play.

What's involved here, can it be 'nipped up' or is it a replacement job? Is it easy DIY with basic skills/tools?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Andy Cooke

Look a few threads back at Discovery front wheel bearings .. essentially it's the same thing!

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Thanks, wondered if it might be the same.

It's not something I want to tackle myself so will get it booked in. How safe is it to drive in the meantime? Got a couple of longish motorway trips coming up.

Reply to
Andy Cooke

If it's 'rumbling', remove the hub, wash out the bearings with paraffin or similar and check the tracks for wear damage, they will be knackered.

Reply to
Oily

How long's a piece of string? I wouldn't run it on the motorway for long .. if it's wobbling it'll force grease out quicker, heat up quicker and seize quicker .. BTDTGTTS.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Getting it replaced this afternoon for £80 all in, couldn't do it myself for much less by the time I had bought what I needed!

Reply to
Andy Cooke

Hi...

When they get to the stage that you can hear the rumble, it's very much time to change. When the wheel starts to wobble so you can see it doing it in the mirror... STOP!

I understand the time it takes can be an issue for some, but with a little practice, it's just about doable to change one corner in an hour, if all goes to plan! I remember doing one in a lunch hour one time way back.

But, if you've never done any mechanicing like that before, it could appear a bit daunting. It's a skill well worth learning though, and is very much a DIY job. If you're going to stick arround Landies for any length of time, you can save yourself a fortune in garage bills, as you learn and get confident with things like that! As well as geting yourself, or a friend, out of a fix late on a Saturday prior to a bank holiday Monday lane trip.

Also.. If you look at the edge of the bearing, there is often a "Generic" number laser etched there. Google it, and you'll be suprised where you can buy identical known maker branded (SKF, Timken etc) parts from, for the fraction of the cost that even an independant dealer will charge you. (They realy are common or garden parts!)

Oh, buy and carry with you, a pair of bearings, a couple of seals, and drive flange gaskets, lockwasher etc. Also some grease, and one of those large box spanners, along with the usual tools, rags gloves etc. Even if *you* can't do the job, someone else in the group with you probably can, and that box spanner just makes things soooo much easier! Or, you can come to the rescue of someone else with an otherwise "Flatbed Taxi Home" problem. Believe me, they will be eternaly grateful!...

Call me mad (or something) But tapping out an old set of bearings, cleaning things up, then tapping in a new pair, and getting it all back together yourself, is a magic experience, except if you have to do it in the rain, at night!...

First firing a rebuilt engine too, but that's just a little bit more involved than changing wheel bearings!

Enjoy!

Dave B.

Reply to
Mr Dave Baxter