When did the rear lights?

When did the lights change on the back of the Discovery?

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

in article BDE08E86.130D1% snipped-for-privacy@ntlorld.com, Nikki Cluley at snipped-for-privacy@ntlorld.com wrote on 11/12/04 11:46 am:

Also what are the differences between the ES and the XS models?

Just missed a 1999 V8 ES Disco with LPG for £6,500. Had quite high mileage, but full service history. He's just said that if he could find another one, preferrably green, with low mileage in East Midlands, he'd go up to £10,000. Would look at a diesel as long as was TD5. Had a look on auto trader and e-bay, but thought I'd mention it on here in case any of you knew of any.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

you probably already know this but be sure the LPG has a certificate, or you'll have to pay for it to be inspected to get a new certificate. Insurance companies won't touch it without one.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

ES has more toys and ussually all leather and electric seats, air con, cruiese, electric sun roofs etc. As to the lights change, which change are you on about, the one fron 200 to 300, 300 with indicators in to without or back to within or up to series 2?

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon

do you mean the "new" style upper clusters on the TD5 style? (late 1999 I think) if you mean the indicators in the upper clusters as well as the bumper 1995 onwards.

ES = fully loaded, full leather air con ESR X2 I think there was an ES premium which has walnut trim and electric seats and the Harmon kardon sound system.

XS = "partially loaded"! half leather different alloys and protection on the bottoms of the doors (plastic thingy I think!)

Was the ES you saw advertised nationally? I missed that one. I'm after a V8 ES myself to replace my 94 300Tdi.

I might live to regret it as it's never let me down and runs like a Swiss watch! - I just want a V8.

Steve

Reply to
StaffBull

On or around Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:12:45 -0000, "Peter Seddon" enlightened us thusly:

the last one is easy: 1999.

As to the others... AFAIK: all 200-type have one set of lights with everything in it.

Paddocks have the following:

PRC 6475/6476 : Rear Lamp Assembly RH/LH - to LA081991 (except Japan)

this is up to 94MY

PRC 6475/6476 : Rear Lamp Assembly RH/LH - to MA162389 and MA501704 (UK only)

which is 95MY - I don't know why 2 series of numbers, though. Our 300TDi is MA14nnnn and has the all-in lights, in addition to the bumper ones.

AMR 5151/5150 : Rear Lamp Assembly RH/LH - from MA162390 and MA501705 to WA746541 (UK only)

95MY - 98MY, in other words, I think, the end of disco 1 production

AMR 1295/1294 : Rear Lamp Assembly RH/LH - from WA746542 (UK only)

I suspect that this is the beginning of disco 2

They also have bumper lamps:

AMR6510/6509 : Rear Bumper Lamp Assembly RH/LH - from MA081992

Dunno why there's a gap in the numbering on the main lights. I suspect this means that from MA162389/MA501704 they have the cluster without the indicators. This tallies with observation on the road, and with our 300TDi, which is before that sequence and has the indicators.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

So Peter Seddon was, like

Que? :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Reply to
Martin Edwards

What no reverse park sensor ;-)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Seddon

Hi Nikki

I posted this:

for David French earlier in the year - might help with the confusion. Then again, might not :o) Martin

Reply to
Martin Lewis

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Peter Seddon at snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk wrote on 11/12/04 1:12 pm:

When the rear lights moved from being near the rear bumper to half way up the back of the car.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Martin Lewis at snipped-for-privacy@ukmax.com wrote on 11/12/04 7:06 pm:

Thanks. Just the sort of thing w were looking for.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

in article cpf1jl$a8e$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk, StaffBull at snipped-for-privacy@spamtrap.staffbull.net wrote on 11/12/04 2:52 pm:

These are the ones.

In the Leicester Mercury. First ad was on the Thursday, didn't have the paper delivered for some reason, and saw it in the Friday car section. Deposit had been left 20 minutes earlier. Had LPG conversion on it and had done about 95,000 miles. New Disco was being collected on the Monday morning and they just wanted it out of the way.

Well we're looking at V8's with LPG or a TD5. Would prefer a dark green colour and Bruce has expressed a preferance for leather seats.

I do think, though that we should really sell the RR and the Series 3 first!

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Reply to
StaffBull

Thts when the series two came out, 200s and 300s were llin the same place, in the bottom half of the back pillar. It was sometime during 1999.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon

On or around Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:57:13 -0000, "Peter Seddon" enlightened us thusly:

not quite. Some of the 300-types didn't have all the lights in the pillars, though I understand they can be converted by retro-fitting the other type of light units or by blagging same from a maestro van.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Reply to
StaffBull

On or around Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:58:13 -0000, "StaffBull" enlightened us thusly:

wierd, innit. our M95 has the full set.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

BDE08E86.130D1% snipped-for-privacy@ntlorld.com, Nikki Cluley at > >>

snipped-for-privacy@ntlorld.com wrote on 11/12/04 11:46 am: > >> > >>> When did the lights change on the back of the Discovery? > >> > >> Also what are the differences between the ES and the XS models? > >> > > > >ES has more toys and ussually all leather and electric seats, air con, > >cruiese, electric sun roofs etc. As to the lights change, which change are > >you on about, the one fron 200 to 300, 300 with indicators in to without or > >back to within or up to series

2? > > the last one is easy: 1999. > > As to the others... AFAIK: all 200-type have one set of lights with > everything in it. >

Ture.

LA081991 (except Japan) > > this is up to 94MY

i.e. end of 200Tdi

only) > > which is 95MY - I don't know why 2 series of numbers, though. Our

300TDi is > MA14nnnn and has the all-in lights, in addition to the bumper ones. >

They've missed out AMR1295/4 MA081992 (start of 300Tdi) to MA135907 and PRC6475 should be from MA135908 to MA152389, then we go to AMR5151/0 which are from MA152390 to WA746541 and finaly AMR1295/4 which go from WA746542 to end of procuction (commercials have slightly different VIN number ranges).

WA746541 (UK only) > > 95MY - 98MY, in other words, I think, the end of disco 1 production > > AMR 1295/1294 : Rear Lamp Assembly RH/LH - from WA746542 (UK only) > > I suspect that this is the beginning of disco 2 > > > They also have bumper lamps: > > AMR6510/6509 : Rear Bumper Lamp Assembly RH/LH - from MA081992

indicators. This tallies with observation on the road, and with our 300TDi, >

which is before that sequence and has the indicators. >

There should be no gaps in the numbering ideally, except where a part number supercession has occured. These sometimes occur where a supplier has changed or some similar minor reason, so the later (or sometimes earlier part no.) is used. In the case of the rear lights above, the muddle of parts just after the 300Tdi launch is due to the requirement for bumper lights leading to complaints that the tail lights were out, so for a time both the bumper and main rear lights had tail lights on at the same time.

Richard

--

snipped-for-privacy@beamends-lrspares.co.uk Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!! Helping keep Land Rovers on and off the road to annoy the Lib Dems

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:24:30 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

personally, I prefer 'em that way. I gather that the bumper-mounted lights were introduced on account of the spare wheel blocks the view of the off-side rear lamp cluster when the door's open.

Reply to
Austin Shackles