Plasma rope (could be Xmas wish LeeD)

They may be called...

but their wesite is

M.

Reply to
McBad

Hi all, I am looking for the best priced plasma (style) rope for my 8274.

What are your thoughts to getting cheaper plasma? Is anyone planning to import a reel to split? I did think about the former but I recall it coming in 1000m reels.

Your thoughts, comments welcome.

Regards, Roy.

Reply to
LR90

I've been down this route a couple of times and always end up buying from Andy at:

If you can get a few of you together and buy a reel and all the fittings it works out cheaper. We did this 18 months ago, buying 1000ft of plasma from him and all the hooks/thimbles that we would need. The thing to watch though is that you get your orders first so that you don't end up with an odd 30 feet of rope. 1000ft will give you 6 8274 ropes and an

8000 rope. 1050 feet will give you 7 8274 ropes. You either need to make it clear that you will be supplying 150 feet ropes before splicing or add at least 3 feet onto each rope length.

Prior to this we tried all over the world (literally) but there are only a couple of places actually making the rope and both of those have sole distributor agreements for each country. It took us two weeks of emails and phone calls chasing alternative sources. Eventually all roads led back to the manufacturing plant who referred us back to Ruftraks.

The problem is that Ruftraks prices are actually pretty good it's just the cost of manufacturing that keeps the price up so no matter where you go you end up with the same problem - the cost.

Ruftraks prices have actually decreased in the last year or so too which makes it even more difficult to get it any cheaper !

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Hi all, you go on about plasma 12 but there are other ropes which do the same thing like amsteel I think its called that, have you tried this and also what about the marine industry this has been used for quite some time as far as I am aware???

Rich

Reply to
Rich

I would reccomend that you ask Mark Casey at discoparts for a price I know he can beat ruftraks price.

Peter

Reply to
scorpio

I would agree. I believe "plasma" rope is an ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene similar to Spectra. Spectra is commonly used on sailboats where an extremely low stretch, high strength, line is needed. I'm sure there are other similar materials out there. You can buy these by the foot rather than 1000 foot reels. I think you mainly need to compare breaking strength for a given diameter with Plasma to decide on the line to buy.

Reply to
Gordon Wedman

Hi Dave, thanks for that.

I'll have to get some chums together to see what ruftracs can do for us.

Cheers, Roy.

Reply to
LR90