Which bit would go first?

Which bit would fail first if a 200 ser Discovery was driven hard in first against a jammed on hard handbrake? Opinions please or better still any actual experiences?

Ta - OM

Reply to
Oilmonkey

Oh dear,

Propshaft - you are talking £500 worth of damage. It will have ripped it out. I have done it.

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

On or around Tue, 07 Dec 2004 02:13:46 GMT, "Andrew Renshaw" enlightened us thusly:

not likely, really, seeing as the handbrake drum is on the back end of the gearbox. On a well-used LT77 I'd expect the gearbox output splines to be the weak spot :-)

depends, I suppose, whether you're talking about staring with the vehicle at rest or with it already in motion.

hauling the handbrake on hard when in motion tends to do half-shafts on older LRs, from what I've heard, or possibly propshafts.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'd vote for the handbrake back plate ripping off....

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:32:24 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

anyone got a sacrificial motor so we can try it?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Reply to
StaffBull