Tire Rotation Question

I have a '95 XLT and I bought a set of Michelin M/S tires at about 100,000 miles, and have had them rotated twice since then. They only rotate them from front to back and vice versa, NOT from side to side. They told me that side to side is not a good idea now, especially since I didn't have the side to side rotation done on the first rotation. Is this correct? Should they be rotated from side to side as well as front to back, or is front to back ok. What should I do at my next rotation at 123,000 miles, which should be in about 6 months? Thanks!

Reply to
Jacob

If you rotate from front to back, each tire ends up rotating in the same direction as it did before.

If you rotate them from side to side, each tire ends up rotating backwards from the way it rotated before. This is supposed to be bad for radial tires - I'm not sure why.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

Reply to
Big Shoe

I just did a rotation as per the ower's manual,

LR to LF, RR to RF

Original LF to RR, original RF to LR

This pattern compensate for edge wearing.

This rotaion pattern is okay unless you have unidirectional tires or other special tires.

Stick with the same rotation scheme for the life of the tires.

Reply to
Fred 2

So is it too late to change to this rotation system now, since it has been front to back, and vice versa for two rotations?

Reply to
Jacob

I'm sure you'll get many different opinions. When radials were first introduced they warned against anything but front to back on the same side. Concern was that the tread would separate from the casing. I think that concern was dismissed about 15 - 20 years ago but old rules die hard.

If it was still something to worry about how would one explain how a radial spare might get used in any of the positions at different times? Or that used tires are sold and installed every day and no one has the slightest idea which side and which direction their were original installed on.

just my $0.02

Reply to
Ashton Crusher