Wings and Spot Welding

Is the rear section of the wings spot welded to the bulkhead? If not , what are they spot welded to? If it is the bulkhead, do you have to paint body
with wings already fitted?
thanks in advance
Landy Man wrote:

What sort of vehicle?
--
EMB

Landy Man wrote:

It would help if we knew what sort of Landrover you are talking about. But assuming you are talking about the Series and 90/110/Defender, which all use the same construction - the wing side panels are spot welded to a right angle piece which is held to the bulkhead by several large hex head screws going into speednuts on the bulkhead. These are accessible from under the wing. JD

MY BAD... and apologies...DUH. Yes, it a petrol 1975 Series III 109" RHD. Thanks for the info - whew, that's a relief its not welded to the bulkhead.
regards, Oz
Landy Man wrote:

Not that I'm sure how you would weld aluminium to steel of course.
--
EMB

This company http://www.muggyweld.com has a rod with this claim:
Super Alloy 1 is a multi-metal, low temperature solder with a melting point of 350o. Its unique properties allow you to join copper, aluminum, brass, pot metal, white metal, zinc die cast, stainless, galvanized, pewter and steel in any combination. This rod allows you to join metals such as steel to aluminum, which welding instructors are STILL teaching can't be done.
Landy Man wrote:

The magic word there is SOLDER - soldering is merely gluing 2 items together, welding is melting them and fusing their molecular structure together so they become one contiguous item.
--
EMB

I think the word here is PEDANTIC
;)
Landy Man wrote:

Well, the point EMB made is valid after all, solders to join most metals have been on sale in the likes of Tandy for a very long time. Nowhere near as resilient as welding, only good for temporary repairs or ornamental stuff in most cases.
--
Karen

"Reverse the polarity and invert the particle flux!"

yes , you're both right. I'm sorry
Landy Man wrote:

No problem. Everyone is entitled to their point of view, it's just that some of us have formed ours through years of performing the task in question. If there's any more information you need don't hesitate to ask.
--
EMB

Duracell Bunny wrote:

Thanks babe - I should have guessed you'd be along to support me in due course. :-)
--
EMB

EMB wrote:
|| Duracell Bunny wrote: || ||| Well, the point EMB made is valid after all, solders to join most ||| metals have been on sale in the likes of Tandy for a very long ||| time. Nowhere near as resilient as welding, only good for temporary ||| repairs or ornamental stuff in most cases. || || Thanks babe - I should have guessed you'd be along to support me in || due course. :-) || || || -- || EMB
This sort of stuff belongs in alt.mutual.appreciation.society, not here :-)
--
Rich
==============================
Richard Brookman wrote:

Do I detect an air of jealousy? :-)
--
EMB

EMB wrote:
|| Richard Brookman wrote: ||| ||| This sort of stuff belongs in alt.mutual.appreciation.society, not ||| here :-) ||| || Do I detect an air of jealousy? :-) || || -- || EMB
No, I like it when people are nice to each other. We should all do a lot more of it.
And when people on *Usenet* are nice to each other, it really is a cause for celebration :-)
--
Rich
==============================
EMB wrote:

As usual, kind Sir, I'm flattered :)
We colonials must stick together.
--
Karen

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.'
On or around Fri, 27 Oct 2006 19:37:10 +1000, Duracell Bunny

Or solder...
"I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine... War is hell"
Landy Man wrote:

Probably :-)
When your chassis needs rust repairs let me solder it up for you - I'm sure the result will be suitably strong and durable for it's intended purpose.
--
EMB

Now how does the OP come up with a silly question like that and then quote all the technical crap?
Martin
Oily wrote:

I guess he did this... http://tinyurl.com/2rfwr
--