Wheel alignment question

Hi I had a wheel alignment done on my wifes TD5 Discovery . The data I have for it states. Front camber (deg) 0 +/- 0 Front Caster (deg 3.70 +/- 0.10 Front toe in (mm) 2 +/- 1 SAI (deg) 13 included angle (deg) 13 +/- 0.5 TOOT inside (deg) N/A TOOT outside (deg) N/A Rear camber (deg) -0.17 +/- 0.5 Rear toe in (mm) 0 +/- 0.15 Thrust Angle (deg) 0 +/- 0.15

The front caster angle on the front left wheel was 3.6 degrees which is in tolerance but the front right was 3.2 degrees which is half a degree out or

0.4 of a degree outside tolerance. The wheel alignment place told me that this cannot be adjusted. I guess anything can be adjusted but is this something a wheel alignmnet place should be able to adjust? thanks in advance Sheridan
Reply to
Ian Roy

The caster angle is fixed the rigid front axle housing. There is no adjustment and the only way the caster angle can differ from side to side is either the axle housing is twisted or the swivel ball attachment has elongated bolt holes (unlikely unless it has been badly neglected) - or the swivel bearings are worn, which they should have noted if this was the case. It is possible the caster angle difference is road damage, but it may be manufacturing tolerance. The overall caster angle for both sides is controlled by the radius arms and worn bushes will allow it to vary. It will also vary with spring deflection, so it is just possible that a change in load between when the two sides were measured would cause the difference. Because the caster angle changes with spring deflection, I am surprised the tolerance is so close. Adjustment would be by replacing components, in this case probably the axle housing, but I would investigate more closely before doing anything that drastic.

Reply to
JD

They are correct - it it not adjustable within any normal meaning of the word, and is probably a manufacturing tolerance issue. I'd not be worrying at all about a caster error of less than about 0.7° - it'll make no noticeable difference to either handling or tyre wear.

Note: I'm a mechanic by trade and have done more wheel alignments than I can remember, but the main thing I do remember is the trouble I had trying to convince clients that an alignment "error" is neither significant nor cause for concern.

Reply to
EMB