Wiper question

Hopefully this one is an easy one for someone.

I have a 2002 Discovery and having a problem with the wipers. They work fine when on, but when I turn them off, they don't automatically return to the down position but rather stop where ever they are at the moment. I'm having to manually time it to turn them off when they are most or less in the low position.

Any ideas of what can cause this?

Thanks,

Reply to
Ken

I don't know how the Discovery is set up but I think there will be a switch in the wiper motor which senses when the wipers are at their lowest position. This switch, or the wiring leading to it, is probably broken so it never tells the control system that the wipers are in the 'park' position.

Reply to
PDannyD

Self-parking switch (probably in the wiper motor itself) kaputt. When you switch the wipers off by means of the column switch it maintains power until the arms are at the parking position.

On a 1988 RR that meant a new wiper motor as the switch involves a conductive track on the 'driven' gear wheel and brushes rather than a cam-driven micro switche. Even worse the motor has been 'upgraded' so I also needed a small chunk of additional loom for £20, as well as new wiper arms!!

If it turns out that you do need a new motor check with Autopost before giving LR the national debt of Brazil.

BOL Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

A 2002 Discovery bought in the UK and serviced by a LR dealer will still be under it's three year warranty... so it does not really matter what the problem is, LR will fix it.

Not sure where you posted from but if from the UK and you meet the warranty conditions you can sleep easy..... if not then yes probably a new wiper motor required. if you can fit it yourself then this will be the cheaper option if not....then erm....save up........or do as my daughter has done with her 8 year old that does this for two years now and hit the switch at the right spot (This won't work on intermittent though which gets to be a game of hit and miss as you try to switch off at the correct spot to make the wipers park properly...)

Reply to
MJG