wiring for defender reverse light

hi, my new (1995) defender didn't come with the reverse light wired up. the bulb is fine, but the 2 wires (black and brown) from the light are not connected. there are 2 available wires, but one of the sockets is flat, whereas both wires have round connectors. i took a pic on my phone which explains it better:

it seems to be a bit of a home-made job, there is some crude soldering on some of the connections. my workshop manual doesn't seem to have diagrams for the lighting circuits, can anyone point me in the right direction? the manual said there is a switch for the reverse lights near the gearbox, but i don't want to have to go in there yet unless i have to!

thanks tim

Reply to
Tim_Mac

"Tim_Mac" wrote in news:1143409194.527282.14970 @t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Haynes says wires to reverse light are green-brown with the second (earth) black. Suggest you trace the wires from the fuse board using an ammeter.

If the light does not work after you have connected the wires, the switch at the gear box is probably kaput.

It is no big deal to change this switch (I don't think it can't be repaired but it is not expensive). Open up the panel beneath the cetre seat/consol and poke around. It is located to rear of the gearbox from memory. Nothing else there with wires poking out the top anyway! There is not enough room to get an open ended spanner on this switch and the wires will prevent you getting a ring spanner onto it.

I got an old socket and cut a slit in it up one side with an angle grinder. This slipped over the switch quite easily, with the wires poking through the slot. Then I used a ratchet to screw the switch off. You may have to move the socket so the wires don't get twisted. Bingo! Dead easy!

Good luck.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

You may also get it off with a plumbers tap wrench.

Reply to
Peter