Wobbly rev counter on 96 Disco - Fixed

Thank you to Austin, Paul & Tim for your advice - it was indeed the alternator. 6 months ago I replaced the rear bearing in the alternator. At the time I noticed that the shaft wasn't an interferemce fit in the new bearing but didn't have any loctite or similar and didn't think it mattered. However, over time the bearing being harder than the shaft, the latter had worn away. Have now rebuilt the alternator using Araldite to hold the new bearing on to the shaft =96 fingers crossed! Guess I should have used some kind of bearing adhesive in the first place.

Rev counter is now steady as a rock. A bit of work but =A35 for a bearing is a lot less than =A3169 for an exchange alternator.

Cheers

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Nice one.

Much nicer 'fixing' things than simply buying replacements ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Yey! Araldite rocks!

Reply to
Lee_D

And wouldn't you be pi**ed off it it was just the remaking of a connection that actually solved the problem?

Sorry! - Slinks off in shame ...

Reply to
Dougal