Wondering eyes... um, I mean steering.... '98 Disco

Happy New year all.... Just wondering if anyone can offer a pointer or confirm my suspicions on a strange steering effect on the old beast.

A couple of months back I had a pair of new tyres in the form of

235/70x16 Insa Turbo Traction Track Extreme All Terrain Initially (as I was trying to prove the diff that was fitted 15 months prevuious was now w4nked) I had 'em mounted on the front to prevent the garage blaming chunky tyres for rear axle noise.

I then got them re-fitted to the back so better braking efficiency with the older less chunky AT's and fairly shortly after noticed the steering a bit "lively" worst problem being in the nearside lane of the poorly maintained M5 where you can see significant trenches from lorry wear. I appreciate these grooves would give a problem to most cars but the Disco becomes a bit of a handfull as it jumps from track to track.

Front wheels are fairly low on tread Cooper A/T style so diameter of new must put the rear axle a good 3/4 inch higher then the front.

Does the group think this would change the castor angle geometry of the front end enough to create such a marked difference in handling or could it be something more evil like squidgy rubbers or dodgy dampers?

The beast has around 185,000 miles and due to business comitments , garage serviced and maintained so generally kept up together pretty well.

Cheers Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Pete wrote....

All I know is that some tyres and the state of wear have a significant effect on "tramlining" as you describe. It's why I won't use Bridgestone's on my BMW, under those circumstances you describe it was nearly uncontrollable and got markedly worse as the tyres wore. With the replacement Michelin Pilot Sport Asymmetric there is no tramlining.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Hmmmm Strange that Bob, because I put Pilot Sports on me good womans 206 GTI-180 and she did say that her car didn't suffer at all from tramlining on the same stretch of road yet prior to the pilot sports her car would tramline on the smallest of grooves and she's not compalined about it at all since the mitchelins. I think they may have been bridgestones fitted as stock on the puegeot too.

Thanks for your feedback Bob. Cheers Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk