Knocking from Disco 1 steering

I changed the tyres on my Disco a couple of weeks ago and I've just developed a knocking on the steering at both left and right lock. I've checked to see if the tyres are fouling anything, but they don't seem do be. The new tyres are the same nominal size as those which came off, but are Insa Ranger Remoulds, so may be marginally bigger. Any ideas? Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

Hi John,

I experienced this problem when I fitted my MTs. When the vehicle is moving at full lock the tyres get deformed laterally by quite a bit. So although they may not be fouling when stationary (when you checked them) you need to leave enough of a gap so that they still don't touch when moving.

HTH

Reply to
SteveG

The edges of the tyres need to be at least 25mm (1") away from lock stops at rest .. this allows for deformation at lower pressures and slow speeds. It shouldn't have taken two weeks for the knocking to start, so the new tyres and knocking may be a red herring/coincidence ...

Knocking on steering at slow speed and full lock is often attributable to CV joints wearing!

Does the noise only come from one side? For instance, turn left, it knocks on left, turn right and knocking is still on left? This can be hard to tell!!

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Clearance, tyres to lock stops ??? Confused?- I am.

Rubbing tyres sound very different to knocking CV joints. Best to check by walking alongside the front wheel(s) whilst it is being driven on full lock.

There will be a witness mark if the tyres have rubbed. Usual culprit is rubbing on the radius arm. If radius arm bushes are not at their best you might, as suggested, not see contact here in the static condition.

CV joint knock is much more metallic in sound and can be not much more than a click in its early stages.

If you do conclude that it's a CV joint, just check that you have lubricant in the swivel housing. A very cheap cure if it's running low.

Reply to
Dougal

Sorry, my wording is in less than impressive English .. ;)

Adjust the steering lock stops so tyres have 1" clearance at front and rear inside edge of tyre to chassis, radius arms, whatever gets in the way! ;)

When I changed from worn BFG AT's to new the first time, the numpty before me hadn't adjusted the lock stops and the inside edges of the tyres were worn/cut out to about 1/2" depth at the very edges of the inside edges of the treads. Wasn't easy to see until the wheels were off. Unluckily the wear had occurred when the previous owner had it so there was no noise to 'inform' me, until I replaced the tyres ... I adjusted lock stops to suit and all has been well through a couple of changes of tyre/wheel. It only needed maybe 1/4 turn to make the difference, and didn't adversely affect the turning circle, it was and still is a barge anyway ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Lots of good answers, and I'm sure you've already checked but given the wheels have recently been off recently then check all the nuts are torqued up too especially the front near side as they have a history in this group of magically undoing themselves!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I love that "whatever gets in the way" - everything covered!

Reply to
Dougal

Heheheh, c*ut ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Yeah .. thats the one... and the a b d e and fnut :o)

Reply to
Lee_D