Wot I did on my holidays

Hi All

Just come back from a week or so in France with the RR and the caravan, and picked up over 600 messages waiting on afl. A couple of observations, for no particular reason:

Set the trip computer for the whole journey, and got the following: Total distance 1082 miles Average speed 42mph Average mpg 14.1 (as opposed to 14.6 measured on actual fuel used) This figure sounded horrendous until I realised that with maximising use of fuel at French prices the whole trip cost a bit over 200GBP, for two people and all belongings (plus a litre or two of the red stuff on the way back). Public transport doesn't come close. Best fuel price I found was 1.018 euro/litre (about 65p) at the hypermarkets like SuperU and Intermarche. The Rangie ran just fine on the cheapest 95 octane stuff.

The car ran like a dream throughout, with a couple of glitches:

The n/s tailpipe dropped off through rust and has started to melt the rear bumper and 12S wiring. Also, the ECU has started telling porkies about blown bulbs and doors being open. I suspect these issues might be related. Time to investigate.

Picked up a local paper on my return to find that a friend and member of the local 4x4 group had been killed in a motorcycle accident. RIP Fagbutt.

Back to work tomorrow. Bugger.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Join the crowd, no sympathy !! :-))

Reply to
Hirsty's

Yeah, cheers ;-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Shit. That's really crap news to return to Richard.

I used to know a fair few bikers, some close mates, who really should have had a much longer and happier life.

I too should actually be wormbait, but by some miracle, walked away (well, limped with a shattered kneecap).

Thoughts, fraternal hugs, an all that. Hope you're ok.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Mother"

Reply to
Richard Brookman

in article caq7om$1q8$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com, Richard Brookman at snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote on 16/6/04 8:41 pm:

Sorry to hear about your friend. Bruce has a motorbike(GS1100), which, since we've had kids, he'll only ride in the summer time on a nice day. Its nice to just be able to out for the day(kids at school)just by ourselves.

Because Bruce rides a motorbike and I am often with him, that it makes you much more aware of other motorbike users when driving a car.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Have to agree with that 100%. I used to ride and would still do if my better half would let me, we lost some friends and she is against bikes now.

I reckon everyone should do some time on a bike before getting a full car license. It makes you *so* much more aware of road conditions and teaches you how vulnerable road users really are.

Reply to
Simon Barr

Twas 18 Jun 2004 09:51:05 GMT when Simon Barr put finger to keyboard producing:

I don't ride a bike, never have, but I do make a point of giving bikes some space etc, it's alright in a car when your protection is sheet metal, on a bike your protection is sheet leather, I know which I'd rather have. There are alot of bikes where I live and lots of really narrow roads, I see many car-drivers treating motorbikes as if they are not there, or worse.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around 18 Jun 2004 09:51:05 GMT, Simon Barr enlightened us thusly:

well, I'll continue to ride for pleasure on nice days[1], and fork 2 fingers at fate or wotever, and if the gods roll 4 aces against me, then so be it. I rather like the Indian (and other...erm... Hindu, maybe?) take on this that you're gonna die sometime, and if today's the day, so be it. Doesn't mean I'll take silly risks, mind, in general I ride well within the limits of both myself and the machine.

[1] BTDT on the riding in all weathers thing, don't feel any need to repeat the experience of, for example, 30-odd miles in snow and ice and half-dark.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles at snipped-for-privacy@ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk wrote on 18/6/04 1:59 pm:

Bruce says the only times he has ever come off have been when its been wet on the roads. Each time due to someone either pulling out in front of him or stepping off a pavement. Luckily no serious injuries.

I read or heard somewhere that they were thinking of making it compulsory for people to wear head protection whilst on a push bike, which isn't a bad thing.

In Leicester the other day a motorbike with pillion passenger, hit two 12 year olds on push bikes. Bikers walked away with bruises but both the children suffered head injuries and one of them died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

I've only ever come off below 30MPH so no serious injuries for me either.

When I was 14 my brother had a very serious bike accident which resulted in the amputation of his left leg below the knee and a year in hospital.

This made me just a bit carefull when I got a bike, didn't stop me falling off, but slowed me up a bit.

Reply to
Simon Barr

On or around Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:06:31 +0100, Nikki Cluley enlightened us thusly:

bummer. However, personally, I tend to be more and more against compulsion in favour of education and personal responsibility for actions.

when we all have compulsory 27-air-bags, compulsory speed controllers subject to external whim, compulsory protection for pedestrians and cyclists, compulsory limits to all cooking appliances so that they can't burn you, a ban on garden ponds 'cos small children can drown in 'em, a ban on this and compulsory that and so on ad nauseam, I personally will not find it worth the hassle of staying alive, there being under those conditions bugger-all worth living for.

Reply to
Austin Shackles