WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS!!!!!!

Hey guys.......Yup....me again!

So there I am Proud as hell that I took apart my engine, cleaned her all up and put her back together with all new shiny, clean, unmolested parts......I am driving her for about 2 weeks now and all of a sudden this weekend, Saturday to be exact here's what transpired!!!

Get up nice and early to wash "charlene"...she was a bit dirty from our previous nightly escapades....so I decided to get a jump on the day and start things off right. Go into the Garage...walk by her and slowly pass one hand on her and whisper in my head.."good girl"..." we had fun last night didn't we".....does this sound weird already or what! So I jump on in her and flame her up....There's nothing like the sound of a V-8 echoing through a 3 car garage...begging to be let loose from her cage...I put her in gear....let out the clutch and................ooopsie stalled it..........so I think..............simple solution right..turn key back one click, depress clutch once again, turn key forward......no cranking over....just click click freaking click....HUH..WHAT THE F*CK!.....try it again!....just click-click-freaking click!...???hmmmmmmmmmmm.......what's the problem....I just put in a Brand Spanking new battery, new cap, new rotor, she has new plugs, wires,...something just ain't right....so I call the g/f down to be my car starter whilest I poke my head under the hood to see what's the matter.....so my g/f (me remote starter)...turns the key and I feel the solinoid on the fender clicking...so I am thinking...solinoid must be shot...so I whip myself off to the local car shop and purchase me a new one for 17.49$$ (canadian funds)......{that's like 0.45$ cents for my neighbouring americans}..........take off the old one put on new one...try car...CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK.....okay...hmmmmmmmmmm ......maybe the starter went.....let's do a little test..ZAP ZAP...nope she works.........{does skin normally smell burnt like that}...I was stumped.............had no clue....figure I will call my buddy and zip this little mind buster past him...beep.beep.beep-beep.beep.beep.beeep!........."what's up slick - gotta a question for ya....blah blah blah"..he says: did you try to jump the battery...."NO- It's new"...he's like try it...okie dokie dude! tried it.............VA_VROOM........what the hell just happened...........boy did I feel stupid.....I spent alot of time scratching my head.....kinda like the Macdonalds cashier, when she told me my total was 4.89$ and I gave her

5.17$....(woooo-that was a funny-confused look on her face)....anyhoo---back to me!..............so my braniac buddy tells me that my alternator is more than likely finished.........so in my head it makes sense.....I start the car, run it around the block...leave it idle, disconnect the positive cable and VOILA she dies!....Alternator not working....so I jump back in the Pontiscrap and go get an alternator................here's the question:

there are 4 spots for the wiring harness...and one pin that says GND (on the alternator) which I assume is ground, but when I took the old on off, there was no ground wire attached to this pin....SHOULD THERE BE??? if so then where does it connect to? Could this have been my problem the whole time? Which does not make sense Cuz I ran her all week with no problems...BTW it a 1984 GT *pretty much stock*

Thanks for all the help guys!

Rick "1984 Mustang GT : First time owner/mechanic, trying his best"

Reply to
Rick

Rick opined in news:WIISa.1997$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

So it has an external regulator, right? Mounted near the solenoid?

The Ground terminal should be connected to the regulator shell, under one of the mounting screws.

Even if it ran for years without it.

And yeah, it could cause that sort of symptom, esp if your neg cable connections and block to firewall ground straps arent quite right.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Okay guys....

I am just gonna shoot ya straight....I replaced the alternator...have a brand new battery, new cap, new rotor, new plugs, new wires...new starter solinoid...I am freaking out.....starter was tested and is good!

The only time I can start the car is by charging the battery or get it jumped. I took off every cable I could find, cleaned every wire and every ground......when I run the car....she will not charge the battery....I am pissing away my summer joy joy rides.....by living in my garage....I NEED HELP!!!!

The ground terminal on the rear of the alternator does not have a wire connected to it...SHOULD THERE BE....and where does it ground to? How do I know if my Negative battery cable is good.....could that be it...it does not look worn....also----the reason I ask about the negative pin on the rear of the alternator is because I was told I do not need it because the bracket that holds the alternator to the block acts as the ground...HUH!?

If there is anyone near the montreal area that can gimme a hand I would really appreciate it......

Thanks