2001 Impala play in steering

I've not messed with rack and pinion before, is there any adjustment to it? There seems to be some play where the steering shaft enters the rack and pinion unit, I can turn the wheel a bit each way with no movement of the wheels and have a little up and down play in the shaft. Maybe a bearing at the top that can be replaced or are these non serviceable?

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Shep

Yes, its right where the stub shaft enters the rack and the engine was running. I can turn the shaft a bit side to side and the tie rods don't move at all.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Reply to
Chuck

This is more play than it used to have, feels like the old Ford trucks from the 70's where you have bump the wheel back and forth driving down a straight road.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Reply to
shawnews