ls400 driver seat belt

hello, the driver seat belt doesn't retract correctly anymore. I notice I have to press the unlock button on seat belt to get the slack to be retracted. What causes this? What should I look at replacing or cleaning? Also, is it worth it to rebuild the power steering pump? It's been leaking for at least a year now. I've been putting off working on it due to easy fix (adding more power steering fluid). Is it better to buy a power steering pump and line from ebay or something? I've seen them on ebay for about $300 for both.

Thanks, Oskar

Reply to
pheonix1t

Oskar,

Check the guide for the seat belt where it enters the pillar. If the belt is frayed, some fine sandpaper on the guides will allow the belt to pass through the guide more freely.

Where is the power steering fluid leaking? Is it leaking from the PS pump pulley shaft seal or hose connection or rack?

Reply to
Ray O

The belt is NOT frayed. So what does this mean? I don't know exactly where the PS pump is leaking, just that it needs more fluid every month or 2. I'll take a good luck soon. Where do I get the rebuild kit? From Lexus dealer?

Oskar

********* A belt that is not frayed means that it is new or the pulleys that the belt runs on are not damaged. Having a belt that is not frayed does not offer any clues as to where the power steering fluid is leaking.

The smart thing to do is to find where the fluid is leaking before you buy any parts. You may be able to get a rebuild kit from a Lexus dealer but check the instructions that Hillbilly Jon posted the link for to make sure that you don't need any special service tools like seal drivers.

Reply to
Ray O

HI, I've seen the website on the link, it's an excellent website! since it's holiday season, I haven't had time to get under car and get a good look at where leak is coming from. so for the driver seat belt, do I just get a good used driver seat belt? Is there anything I can do to fix it without changing the belt assy? Thanks, Oskar

Hi Oskar,

I apologize for my advice regarding the belt. When I posted my response, I was thinking of the accessory drive belt for the power steering pump, not the seat belt.

I think that the seatbelt may have an electrical tensioning device that is released when you disconnect the seatbelt. If pressing the seatbelt release makes a difference, take a look at the receptacle and make sure that there is nothing gummed up or jammed in there. I think that there may also be some kind of connection to the dome light switch in the door. Carefully peel back the rubber boot that covers the dome light switch in the door frame, spray the switch with WD-40, and re-install the rubber boot.

Reply to
Ray O