1993 ES300-Good Used Car?

I was considering buying a ES300, but a friend warned me off, saying parts are outragously expensive and available only through dealers. No aftermarket 3rd party parts for Lexus?

Reply to
NIllinois

I just had an aftermarket radiator installed in my '93 ES300 for about $375. If I'd gone with the official part, it would've cost over $500 for just the part.

Reply to
McPhallus

Plenty of them.

My 94 ES is still going strong, thank you, and the service station up the street has no problem getting parts for it.

True, last week they had to source the window regular from a dealer. No big deal. But other stuff is readily available.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Just out of curiosity, does your shop up the road use official or aftermarket parts? I'm not sure where I stand on the whole original vs. aftermarket issue when it comes to Lexus cars.

Reply to
McPhallus

If by "road use official" you mean Lexus parts, not always. Sometimes they have to, sometimes the price is great, and sometimes the price stinks so they use aftermarket.

Frankly, I don't care if the starter or radiator is aftermarket. But I did get a GREAT deal on a complete brake job using Lexus parts--$500 for all four corners, all parts, all labor, everything. It seems the parts are made in Europe and the US distributor sells them to my service station, complete with the Lexus packaging. Go figure. How far they may have fallen off what truck, I don't know or care.

Some things I want to be Toyota parts. Take fluids, for example. Coolant, PS fluid, tranny fluid--yeah, I want those to be Toyota parts. Crazy, but true. The days of generic coolant are gone for some reason. It's the reality. Get used to it.

With Honda, experience says to use Honda brake parts.

I wouldn't have cared if my window regulator were an aftermarket part.

It all depends.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Shag---

what did your mechanic do for your brake job? Was it only replacing pads (prolly premium pads), machining/turning the rotors, etc., or was this a complete overhaul, as in new calipers, etc.? Just curious---I am in the market for a used car, & Lexus is my top choice.

Cheers

Reply to
Dave

New pads and rotors all the way around, and new brake fluid. $500 all up all in for parts and labor. No rebuilding the calipers.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Yeah--- sounds right for 4 new rotors. Thanx a bunch!

Reply to
Dave