aftermarket ECU for 2002 ES300???

Does anyone know of a company that manufactures aftermarket ECUs to replace the factory module on a 2002 ES300? I am looking for a more responsive computer module than what the Lexus engineers are providing. The lag on acceleration is up to two seconds at times, and Lexus has been of no help in providing a fix. I had them install the "upgraded" firmware back in October. While it fixed the highway-speed lag, it created a huge lag problem at slower speeds, which renders the car dangerous to drive in traffic. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Reply to
Steve Larson

Hahahhhaa! Ya could have bought a COROLLA!

Reply to
Philip®

Thanks, that was really helpful.

Reply to
Steve Larson

Maybe the aftermarket manufacturer could make the Lexus behave like an Acura or something? :) I wonder if that would increase its resale value. But it would confuse the heck out of the next official Lexus guy who had to work on the car.

I think Lexus should just release the ECU program to the public so that the hackers can take a crack at trying to fix the ECU themselves. I know there must be numbers stored in there somewhere that can be changed to produce a different behavior.

Reply to
Iona Camry

If I could tinker with it myself, I definitely would.

Reply to
Steve Larson

Just trying to point you all in the *right* direction. LESS idiotic electronic controls over functions that worked PERFECTLY well mechanically is a GOOD thing.

Reply to
Philip®

Wishful thinking. You're stuck with the crap. How's it feel to realize you PAID good, hard earned money to be a guinea pig? LOL Buy a less sophisticated Toyota ... like a Corolla. ;-)

Reply to
Philip®

And probably make things worse elsewhere in the scheme of things ... just like Lexus has. LOL

Reply to
Philip®

Please crawl back under your rock and go away. Your immaturity is of no help here.

Reply to
Steve Larson

I took my 1998 LS400 to the dealer last week to update the software, he said before i do the update i'll reset it for and try it. He did and it really helped alot, did you try only reseting the ecu?

Reply to
Mar1

We tried that first, prior to flashing the upgrade. It didn't have any effect. The upgrade helped the highway-speed lag, but created a lag at below 20mph.

Reply to
Steve Larson

Stevie... it is your foolish/immature desire to deny the truth. The truth is; you LIKE the pain an misery of buying technology that isn't "ready for prime time" and ... foolishly delude yourself with a notion that you have the talent to fix it. LOL

Simpler is more enjoyable. Dislodge the notion that cars are a mobil entertainment center built around an overstuffed sofa.

Reply to
Philip®

Steve: This is otherwise known as "squeezing the balloon." All you've done and will continue to do is push the problem elsewhere. LOL Giving up is the sane thing to do.

Corolla.

Reply to
Philip®

Please seek counseling.

Reply to
Steve Larson

I have "counseling of the years." (22 yrs in several brands of autos). You should take your own advice ... counseling from me. ;-)

Reply to
Philip®

Could we all please just agree to ignore "Philip"? He doesn't even own a Lexus, for god's sake, so why does his opinion matter? He's obviously underemployed. He should get a job in telemarketing to get his airtime, but people probably would not give him the amount of attention you all are.

Reply to
triplezzz

The IRRITATING part of my messages on this subject is ... you know I'm right. I don't share your misery in owning one of these particular Lexus. I saw the writing on the wall and chose a better automobile. A Corolla. No mangy unfixable fly-by-wire BS, buggy transmission, or a host of other problems that shouldn't be with a higher end automobile.

May I suggest you all write Lexus and Toyota a letter and vent. You should all do this and Lexus needs to hear you. They need to hear you are fed up and selling your vehicle ... never to buy another Lexus.

I'm on YOUR side, guys ... really!

Reply to
Philip®

Then what interest could you possibly have in a LEXUS NEWSGROUP? I am not interested in any corrola newsgroup in the least. I am not even interested in cars that are more expensive than mine. Maybe you are remorseful that you can't afford the problems associated with owning a nice car like a lexus and come here to find some reason to justify your lack of purchasing power in some other way. If you don't own one, and don't work on them, then maybe you should just observe from a distance and not interfere.

Reply to
Bob Muse

Several reasons and I give you the most meaningful one. Many of these electronic controls ... "trickle down" to other models IF... proven cost effective. High end buyers get to be the test customers for these gadgets ... good and bad. The bad stuff doesn't make it to "lesser" (which means "field tested") models. The issues in play in this and similar threads are the FlyByWire throttle and 5 spd automatic hiccups. Already, this crap FBW and 5spd automatic is in the Camry this year and it works about as buggy as in your Lexus. No surprise there. It is past time to make Toyota and Lexus feel the pain too by getting rid of these buggy cars with their dangerously ineffective solutions and make sure they understand that their precious REPUTATION for making a superior automobile is in jeopardy.

I like my 2003 Corolla and part of that satisfaction is in the ABSENCE of unproven sophistication. My introduction to Toyota was through a '90 Prizm (a Corolla as you all know)(purchased new) that was the most trouble free car I've owned in nearly 50 yrs of driving. AS for your crack about what I can afford, your Lexus is small potatoes. To me, a car is a tool for convenience and enjoyment, not a career or a shrine.

You need to hit hard and PUBLICLY the Lexus people.

Reply to
Philip®

Yep! Philip is right! Gotta direct Lexus attention to the extremely poor performance of the new ES330. We have a 2000 ES330 and I am probably not going to buy an LS430 due to the delay problem. Not sure, cause the MB Sclass is nice, but too small and too difficult to maintain. BMW is just plain buggy with their weird controls. So not sure what I will do. PLEASE DO BUG LEXUS !!!!

Reply to
MCBRUE