2000 Lexus ES300 - intermittent cold start problem - help please

On the last occurrence, it did not start after several tries. So, I decided to give it gas while trying to start, which worked. The Interstate Battery (MTP-24F) is new (January 2008).
Anyone know what the problem might be?

When you say that the car does not start, do you mean that the engine does not turn over or do you mean that it cranks but does not start?
How many miles on the car?
If the engine does not turn over, does it make a clicking sound?
Does it start if you jump start the car?
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
"Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote in message

The engine does not turn over, I think. I'm not sure about the clicking sound. Wasn't paying attention for a clicking sound the last time that it happened (~1 week ago). Will listen for it if it happens again.
The car has just over 130,000 miles on it.
Haven't tried jump starting. The last time that the problem happened, I tried giving it gas while turning the ignition, which worked.

If all you get is a clicking or no sound when you turn the ignition key to the start position, check the starter solenoid contacts - they may be worn and can be replaced without having to replace the entire starter.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
"Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote in message

Can't seem to get the problem to occur now. Will keep the info in mind though.
The starter solenoid contacts wear out around 120-150K miles, like the alternator brushes. These are $15-20 parts that are considered wear items and are easily changed if you're mechanically inclined.
See below: http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=15&TopicID=123037

I'm not into automobile DIY. So, if I were to get these parts, would a mechanic do this for me? I can already hear my mechanic telling me to just replace the starter.

Could this not be simply a dying battery? Or maybe a loose POS(+) / NEG(-) connection. I've had both with identical symptoms.
Anyway, here's the unbroken URL. http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID &TopicID3037

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID &TopicID=1 23037
The Interstate Battery (MTP-24F) is new (January 2008). But, I'll double check the connection.

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID &TopicID=1
Well, that's what I get for being late on the thread !
Sure, it helps to check the connection and clean the contacts: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94450
If you want you can do a voltage test as well, see what the volt is at the starter's POS while you crank. Generally you should not see lower than 11v, but the spec may require higher.
Good luck.

Pardon about the broken URLs for some reason (text/html?).
The mechanic should be able to do it. But many would not because it's not cost effective, especially if something other than the normal wear parts went bad. An aftermarket starter usually comes with a decent warranty. Some even a lifetime warranty.
New starter, lifetime warranty: http://www.boschautoparts.com/Products/AlternatorsandStarters/PP100Starters
Reman starter, 2 year warranty: http://www.boschautoparts.com/Products/AlternatorsandStarters/PPStarters
That's why you just about can't find one who's willing to re-boot a halfshaft (especially if a rebuilt halfshaft is avail for < $60, for example).

It depends on your mechanic, but it should be a fairly easy job for a competent automotive technician.