Battery Replacement for ES300

I have a 2002 ES300 purchased new 4½ years ago. I realize that batterys are seriously affected by summer heat and I am considering replacing the battery now rather than wait for a problem to occur. The current battery is original equipment. Can anyone recommend a good replacement battery? Is there any problem having the work done at a local repair shop rather than a Lexus dealer? Thanks.

Alan

Reply to
AlanW

Toyota and Lexus dealers sell Exide batteries and Exide is pretty good about rotating stock so you get "fresh" batteries. I've had fair luck with Sears Die Hard batteries as well.

If you have entered a security code in your radio, you'll want to know it before the battery is replaced. A Lexus dealer will know the universal unlock code but an independent shop will not. While you're dealing with the radio, it is also convenient if you write down your radio presets before power is disconnected.

Reply to
Ray O

Man, changing a battery is about the easiest thing you can do on a car besides changing light bulbs. Don't pay someone to do it!!

1) Detach negative battery cable. 2) Detach positive battery cable, make sure they don't touch each other. 3) Undo the bolt on the bracket that holds the battery securely in place and push the bracket to the side. 4) Pick up the battery and pull it out of the car. 5) Put your new battery in the battery tray where the old one came out from. 6) Reattach the battery bracket 7) Connect the positive battery cable 8) Connect the negative battery cable.

9) Enjoy your new battery!

Reply to
NYLexSC

True. Changing a battery is easy mechanically, but considering

- Batteries are heavy, and sometime awkward to get in/out of vehicle

- Old Batteries are a pain to dispose of

- Most places will install battery free or for nominal charge

- Many places have a 'keep alive' system so resetting radio codes, etc is not required.

- Residual leaked fluids or battery corrosion can do nasty things to your clothes

It is probably best to have it done. Just cause it's easy, doen't mean you have to do it! There are bigger/more expensive battles to win than replacing a battery.

Reply to
Xplant

Autozone will replace them on the spot (no installation charge) and their Duralast batteries are highly ranked in Consumer Reports. It's also very convenenient as they will credit you for the core so you don't have to bring the old battery back in for credit. I did this last week and it took about

10 mins.
Reply to
Naxray

On Tue, 16 May 2006 21:13:51 -0400, AlanW graced this newsgroup with:

  1. No, you don't need an OEM battery.
  2. No, you don't need the dealer to replace it.
  3. Yes, it's probably a good idea to replace if nothing else, peace of mind. Average life span of automotive batteries is 5-7 years (with 7 years being on the very high end).

Every battery I've replaced in any car I planned on keeping for any length of time, I've replaced with an Odyssey battery. Many may think it's overkill, but I have never, ever had one strand me anywhere.

I can't say the same for the POS 99 Durango battery, but that story's for another day. ;-)

Reply to
kegler