Burning smell from my new ES

I bought it on Tuesday and it was pretty much sitting in my garage. Yesterday I drove it a little bit and noticed some buring odor. After driving it a little more this morning, I again smelt the same odor. I took the car to my dealer and 2 mechanics immediately told me, "It's undercoating and it will soon go away." Should I buy that?

Reply to
Jonathan Fidelis

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 14:37:01 -0500, "Jonathan Fidelis" graced this newsgroup with:

yes. unless you see smoke, it's the "outside" new car smell as opposed to the "inside" new car smell. It'll go away in 30 or 40 miles.

Reply to
kegler

Sometimes it takes up to 200 miles to burn off the smell.

Reply to
Robert

Sometimes the metal parts are coated with oil from suppliers so that they don't rust during the process of shipping parts, making the car and shipping the car to the dealer. You likely smell the light oil coating that is burning off of the exhaust manifold. There have been similar complaints with other Lexus vehicles, but the anti-rust oils lightly sprayed onto metal parts prior to shipping from suppliers to Lexus assembly plants do take a few weeks to burn away and get washed off. It may be undercoating but is more likely the new parts smell as mentioned in another posting. You could power wash everything to try clean off all the 'new car' oils oozing out of the parts, but I don't recommend it.

Reply to
Jeff

and let us know when , if u encounter the famous tranny issue....

and how much did ya pay for your vehix..

i hear that they are offering generous discounts to get rid of ES330.s before the 350s come out next week..

Reply to
jkutti2000