2001 Forester burning smell

I have a 2001 Subaru Forester. When I am stopped at a light or anywhere and the HVAC is set to let in outside air, I get the smell of something burning from under the hood. Either oil or a belt or something. My belts are basically new, but it is time for a new timing belt. I can not figure out what is burning.

Has anyone delt with this before? Where is the outside intake vent for the HVAC on this car?

Thanks,

Carl

Reply to
dnoyeB

Hi, Not really burning, maybe something is over heating? Is the rad fan running for sure?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

If you get a small leak from the cam cover gasket, oil falls onto the exhaust. It doesn't need to be enough to make the exhaust look oily, but you'll see stains where it burns/boils off if you climb under and check it with the cover removed.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Other than picking up a plastic bag or other debri from the road - it's likely some fluid or grease from your car. If it smells sweet like toasted marshmallows - probably coolant. Get that investigated WITHOUT DELAY. If it is engine oil, check your oil level. Even if that looks OK

- you may have a minor drip. A very small amount can make a big stink. The other common problem is a torn CV joint boot. The 'axle' grease slings out onto the exhaust (and elsewhere) and makes a stink. If that is the problem, you may wait if you like for quite awahile for that repair. CV joints can last a very long time after they are exposed.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Hi, Keyword from OP is HVAC.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Probably a split inner CV boot on the passenger side.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

Exactly what happened in my '98. Very easy to find when I drove on to my ramps and inspected exhaust pipe. At time, dealer fixed under drive train warranty.

Reply to
Frank

Check if you got a plastic bag stuck to your exhaust system (from manifold back to tailpipe).

"smell of something burning ... oil, belt, or something" Well, something pretty much includes everything. Hard to know with a description of the burn smell.

How soon after you start the car do you smell the odor? Do you smell it when you start the car cold first thing in the morning? Do you smell it if you haven't driven anywhere yet and just let the car warm up for a few minutes sitting in place? If you don't smell it until you drive, how soon (how many blocks) before you smell the odor?

Fan belt is a possibility but several others already mentioned that. I had my alternator burn up because the bearings went bad and there was a lot of friction. I would smell it within 3 blocks of driving the car and could smell it whether the air was coming in through the vents or if the windows were opening. It had an electrical smell because of the varnish on its windings getting heated up. The alternator died and would no longer charge the battery (which I could measure using a voltmeter to check voltage with the car stopped and with it running).

Reply to
VanguardLH